Slew of problems after uninstalling SystemWorks.

CelicaMan94

OSNN Junior Addict
I just uninstalled Norton Systemworks 2006 after it asked for re-activation. After this, my computer has become pretty useless. Some problems include:

AIM will not function. I receive an error saying "ERROR: Could not create Boxely service."

I cannot delete my Hotmail messages with IE. The box that can be checked to select all messages doesn't work. If I select the messages individually and click delete, nothing happens. Java applets won't load, or even appear. Windows Update yields a blank white page.

In the About section of IE where the version and ID are listed, they are all blank.

I cannot run tests on PC Pitstop. It says that scripting is disabled in my security settings (it isn't).

The Norton Antivirus offered from Google will not run. It will open, but say nothing except "System Status: Refreshing" with a blank white space under it. The options to scan do not appear at all.

The Sytem Restore feature will not open.

This is all I've ran into so far. Any ideas?

I assume when you uninstalled NSW every thing went smoothly? Did you also uninstall NAV that is bundled with NSW? Do you have any other Norton branded programs installed? Did you uninstall LiveUpdate?

Did you delete the Application Data folder for Symantec? Did you delete the Common Programs folder for Symantec?

I suggest flushing the registry and searching for any Norton or Symantec related keys. I also suggest using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to get rid of anything Norton/Symantec.

I'm removed all of the folders and registry entries that I could find. I ran into a few other problems during this. The search feature in Windows doesn't work. The window will appear with the blue and white panes, but they're both blank. The little dog just sits in the bottom left corner. And Windows Media Player won't open. I get an error message that says "An internal application error has occurred.". I even tried rebooting in safe mode to see if that fixed anything. It was no different than a regular boot. Everything still had problems. The Help & Support feature also won't open.

well other than redoing windows because it is Norton. lol

some options that might work:

SFC - click start/run type in CMD, then in the dos window type sfc /scannow
it will ask for the windows cd to replace files and it might take a while.

also you can try to run the Norton removal tool.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Norton-Removal-Tool.shtml
it will clean up other crud left behind. and when that is done reinstall the latest version of the windows scripting service

other than that go into IE. and in the options tell everything to reset to default. all the tabs and everything just reset to default.

umm if u can there is an application out there called registry mechanic i think there is a demo out there on the net. but try to get that and run it.

or if all else fails there is one way that should fix it.
reinstall XP but when you do it do a repair install. it is in the options when installing. it will go through looking for previous instillations and then it will list the current one and ask if u want to repair it.

I've tried running the Repair install before and I can never get it to work. It asks which installation I want to log into, and then asks for a password. I've not set any passwords and anything I try just takes me to a C:\> prompt.

CelicaMan94 said:
I just uninstalled Norton Systemworks 2006 after it asked for re-activation. After this, my computer has become pretty useless. Some problems include:

AIM will not function. I receive an error saying "ERROR: Could not create Boxely service."

I cannot delete my Hotmail messages with IE. The box that can be checked to select all messages doesn't work. If I select the messages individually and click delete, nothing happens. Java applets won't load, or even appear. Windows Update yields a blank white page.

In the About section of IE where the version and ID are listed, they are all blank.

I cannot run tests on PC Pitstop. It says that scripting is disabled in my security settings (it isn't).

The Norton Antivirus offered from Google will not run. It will open, but say nothing except "System Status: Refreshing" with a blank white space under it. The options to scan do not appear at all.

The Sytem Restore feature will not open.

This is all I've ran into so far. Any ideas?
im having a simular problem.i cannot run system programs either.except mine occured after i un-installed zone alarm pro.however i uninstalled mine because i couldnt view javascripts or embeded objects and the settings would be refreshed by zone alarms settings "which originally changed them"i dont get it...

Mastershakes said:
SYMClean

Have either of you tried it?
Just tried.Says i can continue installing norton....hrm... now i cant even use windows media player! "An internal apllication error has occured"

Now run SFC /scannow with your XP CD in drive as Canadian_divx suggested.

(do this at the run command)

Mastershakes said:
Now run SFC /scannow with your XP CD in drive as Canadian_divx suggested.

(do this at the run command)
can't, my cpu was bought with xp installed, i have no disk..

Once again Norton kills a perfectly fine PC. You all know what he has to do, so you might as well tell him ;)

Johnny, not the original post. Someone else is asking a similar question except it is about Zone Alarm.

Hey I tried that norton uninstall thing and I still have that error, I also installed Zone Alarm to replace Norton. So I don't know what to do and I really and I mean really don't want redo my operating system again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back