slave/master setup

jdn

I'm trying
i have just purchase a new box and i am adding some existing drives.
what would be the best ide setup
my config is as follows:

athlon xp 1800
gigabyte ga-7vtxe+ mobo
256 ddr
40 gb hd - new
lg 52 cdrom - new
liteon 2410 cdrw - old
10 gb hd - old
geforce2mx400 -64mb video
xp pro

gaming performance is the #1 priority
burning is #2
note:
i can configure this box to suit these purposes only as we have a seperate p4 box on the home network for general use.

thanks for any ideas or advice.

I'd set the cdrw as master to the cdrom, and the 40gig as master to the 10 gig. OR, 40 gig master to cdrom, and cdrw master to 10gig.

If you want to copy cd's and still continue to work with your PC while copying, the best setting is to give the cd-reader and the burner each there own IDE-cable. Then I would put the harddisk which you want to use as a temporary disk to store files you want to burn to the CD's to the same IDE cable as the CD-reader, let's say the old harddisk. The setting would be like this:

CD-reader (IDE 0, master)
CD-burner (IDE 1, master)
Harddisk new (IDE 0, slave)
Harddisk old (IDE 1, slave)

Hope this would be an good answer.

Originally posted by glaanieboy
If you want to copy cd's and still continue to work with your PC while copying, the best setting is to give the cd-reader and the burner each there own IDE-cable. Then I would put the harddisk which you want to use as a temporary disk to store files you want to burn to the CD's to the same IDE cable as the CD-reader, let's say the old harddisk. The setting would be like this:

CD-reader (IDE 0, master)
CD-burner (IDE 1, master)
Harddisk new (IDE 0, slave)
Harddisk old (IDE 1, slave)

Hope this would be an good answer.

Glaanieboy has it right for best copy performance on the fly with less errors and problems.

I like to have this:
hd1 (IDE 0, master)
hd2 (IDE 1, master)
cd recorder (IDE 0, slave)
cd drive (IDE 1, slave)

Find that this offers me the fastest proformance, but to each his own. Everyone likes it their way

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back