Slave Drive

dragonbeat

old timer
:cry: just installed a new hard drive which as you see is a gigabyte k8n,got the master working ok but cannot get the slave recognised at all .when booting up everything just freezes up in the bios boot up section and will not go into windows .what have i done wrong or what haven't i done to get them both working together .:rolleyes:

If you suspect that is the issue, disconnect the drive and leave it disconnected. This way you can try to boot into Windows and everything to isolate the problem. If it boots OK, hook the drive back up, check the jumper settings etc, see what happens.

just spent another day trying to sort the problem out.when connecting the master drive up it works great by its self ,but when i connect the slave the computer bios doesn't see any of the drives hard or optical,i've even put new ribbon cable on but still no luck.:cry:

You did set the jumper on the master to Master and the slave to Slave right?

Masters when used by themselves are normally set to "nothing".

One Drive ::::: or ::_:
Master ::|::
Slave :::|:

This should not upset the Bios POST but will prevent the drives from being recognized.

Next option is the IDE cable is in upside down. Pin 1 on the wrong end. Look at the drive, make sure the red strip matches to pin one on the drive.

Next the power connector may have a pushed back pin. If the drive gets no power it can load down the ide interface and prevent either drive from coming up. Again it shouldn't but...

Since you know the original drive is still good put JUST the slave drive in and see if the POST completes. It should complete and then say something like no operating system found insert CD removable driver etc.

If the system boots that far ok put in a windows CD or the drives install cd or floppy and format and partition the drive.

It could be the PSU but unlikely for just an additional HD. Disconnect the CD, DVD, case lighting, extra case fans, unneeded USB peripherals etc.

If you have done all this it's RMA time.

LeeJend said:
Since you know the original drive is still good put JUST the slave drive in and see if the POST completes. It should complete and then say something like no operating system found insert CD removable driver etc.

If the system boots that far ok put in a windows CD or the drives install cd or floppy and format and partition the drive.

Just thought it was worth quoting this part. You may have a bad harddrive and doing this will tell you more, but use a different power plug than you have been and make sure the drive is set to master for this test.

well after close inspection of the hard drive i noticed that one of the pins was either broken or pushed in,so not getting contact with all 38 pins the hard drive would not work.i have been intouch with seagate by email and i was quite surprised by their quickness of their response a reply within an hour.so to all who replied to my quire thanks :cry:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back