[Slackware/Xorg] Can't start startx (X-Window manager)

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I need help again, guys and girls! For some reason, I can't startx anymore in my Slackware 10.0/Xorg environment. I checked the logs, but there is nothing in there, only the last time startx worked. When I enter startx, nothing happens, literaly, I have to press CTRL+Z to cancel it. I first thought it may be related to some new progs I installed yesterday (MySQL 4.1 (wrong version, DOH!) and Apache2), maybe they are caught in some sort of loop upon startup, but all of the non-X programs still work, like elinks, in which I am typing this message.
All I did yesterday before breakdown of startx, was compiling MySQL 4.1 and Apache2 from source and installing them. I have made sure they didn't overwrite files in the X11 dirs or sump, so that just can't be the cause.
Although it's funny to browse the web in a textbrowser, I want my X back. A little help here is appreciated :)

O..K, now I can startx again :confused: Dunno what did it, I just decided, what the heck, and it worked. Forget this thread plz :)

hmm, yeah, well i'm not so lucky. slackware 10.0 boots up everything seemingly normal. type startx, hit enter, and absolutely nothing happens! tried xwmconfig for other window managers, no effect. reboot, nothing. so i said maybe i'll try reinstall X from dvd or something, but NO!
'mount' refuses to do anything at all either! a blank line, i have to control-c out of again! ??? seems like nothings working.
anyone any idea what's going on? don't recall installing anything or changing any settings. i did recently installed kde and kde seems to crawl along every now and then, but that's been going on for a while now. the only other unusal thing is that i've never bothered with swapspace partition or file. my system ram is never even close to being fully utilized (756mb), highest was around 256mb, and only under kde with other apps. i'm an XFCE fan anyhow. if it ever is used i'll add a swap file. as u may tell i'm a bit of a noob, isn't everone in a way, but i'm willing to put the time in.

thanks for any replies.

figured it out. don't know the reason behind this, but if the network is not set up correctly this occurs (or rather things don't occur).

scenario 1: network with static ip address', no nameservers, DHCPservers, etc, just "/etc/host" files. if the laptop is using DHCP the anomally occurs.

scenario 2: laptop has static ip address set. anomally occurs when attached to DHCP driven network.

Go figure?? anyone any insight as to why this occurs?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back