Slackware or FreeBSD

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
which is best for http and ftp ?

i have a spare box here and am thinking of messing about with linux - some have told me to use slackware others freeBSD - have tried linux a few times and have the general hang of it, but just wondering which isos to d/l :)

If you want to get the hang of Linux, you need to take Slackware. FreeBSD isn't Linux, it's a Unix clone, like Linux. Are you going to use the computer as a server or workstation?

server mainly - i have been using slackware for a while - just wondering if freebsd will be that hard to get to understand and use

I have used FreeBSD 5.2.1 as a server and I liked it. Very simple to use and safe out-of-the-box, meaning it takes very little configurating to make it safe. One other thing I liked very much is the packaging system. All you need to do is going to the directory of the application to be installed in the ports tree and type 'make install' and the app is installed. Nothing to worry about wrong dependencies, they are installed automagically. And there are literary 100's of apps in the ports tree, ready to be installed.
I use Slackware Linux currently in a testing environment to see if it can replace my Windows XP based system, and it's very easy to use. Not as easy as FreeBSD, but that may be because I am used to FreeBSD.
To be honest, I can't tell you to use one or the other as a server environment, atm I am 55% FreeBSD and 45% Slackware, mainly because of the easy to use packaging system, which Slackware lacks.

what about security updates are they as easy to install as the applicaions themselfs ?

From what i have been reading about freebsd it might be worth my while to give it a go, its only a spare box i will be testing it on so there is no real harm i can do (he says ;P)

If you're already familiar with Slackware, I wouldn't see any reason to move to BSD. Once configured, they both perform the same tasks, and there are plenty of people who use either one for their servers.
If you're looking to try something new though, FreeBSD wouldn't be a bad idea.

i agree slackware gets the job done but im bored and looking for something new - so thought why not, i am hoping soon to move away from windows and use linux for workstation and unix for server :)

so thought i best start looking into it now

Thanks for the advice - time to start messing about with freebsd

im gonna need it - 5 mins into messing about with it and i cocked up the installing of the vid card drivers - hahahahaha.

i think i have it sorted now :)

but if there is any freebsd bods about that would be willing to help with advice when required - would be good :p

FreeBSD bod and almost zealot at your service :D

Just dont ask desktop related questions I only use it in a server environment. Windows for the desktop :)

LordOfLA said:
Just dont ask desktop related questions I only use it in a server environment. Windows for the desktop :)
Best of both worlds then. Good choice. :)

If you are going to use it as a server I would say FreeBSD. It is easier to configure your software with the ports system. On slackware you would have to compile the packages from source yourself adjusting the ./configure options manually. Ask Glaanie about MySQL 4.1 :p

BTW Linux and FreeBSD both make a suitable desktop, I only use Windows for OfficeXP. Personally I can barely stand Windows anymore.

Just one small comment ... you can find quality Slackware packages easily at www.linuxpackages.net if you aren't inclined to compile yourself. I upgraded to MySQL 4.1.7 easily with no problems with a simple upgradepkg.

As with LordOfLA, I use a Windows desktop, and although we use BSD on all our servers at work, I do not admin the servers. I'm pretty proficient with recent Slackware, Debian, and Fedora releases though.

FreeBSD zealot at your service :p.

I use it on the server, and as a desktop, and can be asked any question. Good resource for BSD once you are up and running, http://bsdguides.org/

FreeBSD zealot at your service :p

yup, server, desktop, laptop, and using NetBSD on my toaster :p

again the bsdguides link X-Istence gave is a good place to get things going.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back