[Slackware Linux] Uninstalling programs without original Makefile

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
As some of you may know, I accidentally installed the wrong version of MySQL, so I want to remove it. Normally I would do a 'make deinstall clean' in the directory from which I compiled MySQL, but I already deleted the dir and downloaded file. Does this mean I would have to redownload (and extract etc) the file, do a ./configure to generate the Makefiles and then run the 'make deinstall clean' command again? Or can I just delete the directory I installed it in (this means the entire /usr/local/mysql directory and files from /usr/bin)?
Just for future reference, when I compile stuff from source and install it using 'make install', must I leave the directory and compiled files intact to prevent this? Or can I just copy the Makefile to a specially created uninstall dir so I canrun the 'make deinstall's from there? What does anyone else do?

You could just delete the files (since Linux doesn't use a registry, or anything of the sort), but it might leave stray files that could possibly have been placed outside the directories you mentioned.

In the future, you might want to look into CheckInstall. It's an awesome way to manage source-based installations and uninstallations. Essentially, you go about it the same way (./configure, make) but you use "checkinstall" instead of "make install" as the final step. This creates a Slackware package (also works with Debian and RPM-based distros) before installing, so you can safely delete all the source files when you finish. When you decide to uninstall later, it's as simple as using Slackware's package manager to remove the package created by CheckInstall.

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
smile.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back