Slackware and Swaret

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
first off im a total n00b to linux and was told that slackware was the best to use - was also told that its best to use swaret to update it but every ftp i try to use to update it only has old versions of the programs i want to update.

Could anyone tell me a good site(s) to use

Thanks

If you really are completely new to Linux Slackware is NOT the one for you :p
Have a look at Mandrake, it was purposefully built for people with no experience whatsoever...

ok told a little white lie there - not a total n00b to linux - have tried rh mandrake and suse and didnt like any of them - too bloated and too slow - have installed slack ok have a ftp and http server running on it (had a bit of help from a friend there), just need to know a few good places to tell swaret to look to iget some updates

Are you running 9.1 or current? Current is going to have the most up to date (bleeding edge) apps. Also check Swaret site for some here for more repositorys. Will be someone else along to add more that I missed I'm sure ...

damn time change 4-5hrs of sleep don't cut it. :(

I find the most recent packages for swaret can be found at linuxpackages.net. If you go to swaret.org, they have a short list of sites that you can add. Those should be all you need. Edit swaret.conf and insert those sites accordingly. Xie seems to have covered this already. You don't really need to use current since people seem to make packages for 9.1 anyway. I stay on 9.1 tree to be safe since I don't use it as a desktop, but as a server hidden in the closet. heh.

Xie said:
damn time change 4-5hrs of sleep don't cut it. :(
I know the feeling... oh how i wish i lived in arizona. SCREW THE FEDS!!!!! :D

if you are only finding old packages with swaret, make sure the config file is looking for current, not 9.1 or 9.0 etc., you dont't want to update your distro with the repos sites, can be bad.

j79zlr said:
if you are only finding old packages with swaret, make sure the config file is looking for current, not 9.1 or 9.0 etc., you dont't want to update your distro with the repos sites, can be bad.

If you only have official repositories added, you will find older packages if you specified the 9.1 tree. If you added the linuxpackages.net tree for example, you'd be able to find newer packages for it.

I use Slackware-current and LinuxPackages.net
Never had a problem with it, but I don't ever do a full upgrade. Basically only pick the packages that I want to upgrade.
On a side-note, SWareT has improved greatly since I first started using it. We should be seeing source-based installs coming soon too, just like Gentoo's portage tree.

can't you already search for source: swaret --get <file> -s

vern said:
If you only have official repositories added, you will find older packages if you specified the 9.1 tree. If you added the linuxpackages.net tree for example, you'd be able to find newer packages for it.

This is true, but if you use the tag current it will update them as they are added to the slackware tree. I just use swaret --update && swaret --upgrade to update the system. If a package that isn't available or I want something upgraded before appearing in the current branch, I just manually fetch and upgrade/install it.

j79zlr said:
This is true, but if you use the tag current it will update them as they are added to the slackware tree. I just use swaret --update && swaret --upgrade to update the system. If a package that isn't available or I want something upgraded before appearing in the current branch, I just manually fetch and upgrade/install it.

or if you don't want it to prompt you for each upgraded package:

swaret --update && swaret --upgrade -a

Xie said:
can't you already search for source: swaret --get <file> -s

What I was refering to was the --compile switch. It's already in the current version, but it's marked experimental and is still a bit rough.
Check out this thread for more info on what it does, and what's coming in the next major release.
http://forum.swaret.org/viewtopic.php?t=712
smile.gif

NetRyder said:
What I was refering to was the --compile switch. It's already in the current version, but it's marked experimental and is still a bit rough.
Check out this thread for more info on what it does, and what's coming in the next major release.
http://forum.swaret.org/viewtopic.php?t=712
Yeah I've read about new source stuff in swaret but I was pointing out to those that maybe didn't know you can grab source w/ swaret in addition to packages :)

ps - hope that comment don't sound mean

Xie said:
Yeah I've read about new source stuff in swaret but I was pointing out to those that maybe didn't know you can grab source w/ swaret in addition to packages :)

ps - hope that comment don't sound mean

Nah, don't worry about it. I get what you mean.
smile.gif

This might deviate from the topic a bit ... but Netryder, do you have any experience with linuxpackages.net build scripts? /me wonders if support for build scripts will be supported in swaret ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back