Slackware 10 & USB 2.0

desie

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi all I have managed to get Slackware 10 installed on a spare 10GB drive :D. Well It detected my XP SP2 hard drive great and I can read it all so NTFS browsing is ok. However I have an 80GB USB 2.0 7200RPM (8MB cache) external hard drive manufactured by Lacie. I have tried to enable the following in the control center of KDE 3.2.3 (System Aministration>Linux Kernel):

Support for USB (tick)
Preliminary USB device filesystem (tick)
EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support (EXPERIMENTEL) (tick)
USB Mass Storage Support (tick)

And of course theres all the default USB stuff ticked or compiled as a module at Slackware install. Once I applied the changes as root it told me to run "make sysmlinks dep" in /usr/src/linux so I did all of that and rebooted Slackware.

Nothing appears in /mnt/ that relates to USB, do you know were I could find the drive or have I missed somthing? The filesystem is FAT32 (do I have to add support for that somewere?) and my hardware is in my Sig. Hope you can help thanks. PS kernel version is 2.4.26

You have to mount it.

mkdir /mnt/usbdrive
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive

Thanks ill try that another time, for some reason slackware froze so I'm now in XP but next time ill try it thanks.

mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

After doing the "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive" command

k, you are going to have to figure out what the drive is listed as. Do you have hotplugging enabled in the kernel? If so, you could do this:

tail -f /var/log/messages

When you hotplug the harddrive it should output something like:

kernel: Attached scsi disk sda1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Note the sda1 line, it may be different for you.

Hi thanks for that info I will try it next time I'm in Slackware. In XP atm, don't know if this is any help I doubt it :p.

Attachments

• Drivers.jpg
    Drivers.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 145
desie said:
The filesystem is FAT32 (do I have to add support for that somewere?) and my hardware is in my Sig. Hope you can help thanks. PS kernel version is 2.4.26
Yeah you would need support for FAT32 in your kernel I believe.

VFAT support there by default, if it wasn't you would get a different error like filesystem not supported by kernel. The windows info doesn't do any good. You need to figure out what device the USB is listed as in linux. Should be /dev/sda or /dev/sda1

I think I got it mounted it but when I access /mnt/usbdrive it just says access denied to usbdrive is it because I mounted it as root or using Konqueror without root?

I managed to look inside the drive when I was loged in as root. However in my normal account trying to mount it just says,

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1/mnt/usbdrive
mount: only root can do that

What you need to do is as root:

chmod 777 /mnt/usbdrive
mount ....

login as user

go to /mnt/usbdrive

now it should work.

To mount it as a normal user, you would have to edit your /etc/fstab file, add this:

Code:
/dev/sda1                /mnt/usbdrive     vfat            noauto,users            0 0

I did what both of you guys said and it don't show any files now :(.

Nov 18 17:52:05 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:02.2-1, assigned address 4
Nov 18 17:52:08 localhost kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Nov 18 17:52:08 localhost kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
Nov 18 17:52:08 localhost kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Nov 18 17:52:08 localhost kernel: sda: sda1
Nov 18 17:52:08 localhost kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.

It's sda1 like you guys said and I did everything you said X-Istence and j79zlr but still get access denied as a normal user (in a termnial). In a file browser just shows no files.

Sorry Desie, but Linux is not really my area. In FreeBSD you chmod it to 777, chown it to the right user, then as root mount the drive, and all files under the mount point will be chmod 777 and chown'ed to the right user, so that they can be viewed.

here is what i run for my 256 MB key:

mkdir /usbstick
chmod 777 /usbstick
chown xistence:xistence /usbstick
mount .... /usbstick

open up Konq, and browse to /usbstick. Done.

User@localhost:/mnt$ chmod 777 usbdrive
chmod: changing permissions of `usbdrive': Operation not permitted
User@localhost:/mnt$ su
Password:
root@localhost:/mnt# chmod 777 usbdrive
root@localhost:/mnt# chown User:User /usbdrive
chown: `User:User': invalid group
root@localhost:/mnt# chown User /usbdrive
chown: cannot access `/usbdrive': No such file or directory
root@localhost:/mnt# chown User:User /mnt/usbdrive
chown: `User:User': invalid group
root@localhost:/mnt# chown User /mnt/usbdrive
root@localhost:/mnt# mount /mnt/usbdrive
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
root@localhost:/mnt#

Grrr this is so annoying :(

I'm not a guru but it didn't look like you made the mount point above before trying to chmod/chown it. Also you would chown it to whatever user you use (ie . desie:desie) .. unless of course you do login as " User ". :)

Ok back to how it was when it was working in root. I just get access denied in a normal user. Tried everything you guys said.

Attachments

• works_root.jpg
    works_root.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 143

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back