Teddy

Boogie Nights...!
Anyone tried this : http://www.skype.com/

"Skype is the next phenomenon from the people who brought you KaZaA. Just like KaZaA, Skype uses P2P (peer-to-peer) technology to connect you to other users – not to share files this time, but to talk for free with your friends."

I downloaded and installed it some days ago. I want to try talking to my brother in New York, but he's in Seattle right now, so I haven't got a chance to try it yet.
Quite curious to see what the call quality is like.

I too have downloaded it, but haven't actually used it.
Does seem pretty cool though.

huh? :confused: so it's just like netmeeting or what?
Also is it bogged down with spyware/adware like KaZaA ?

It's P2P telephony, using a different protocol, not found in any existing internet telephony applications. That's why I'm curious to see what the sound quality is like.
And no, it isn't spyware-ridden like KaZaA ;)

May give it a go later..
What does it cost?
During the beta period Skype is free and helps us to refine and improve our product. Eventually, some features and services of Skype will require a paid subscription or prepayment. Our ambition is to keep the basic functionality of Skype (PC to PC calls) free. More information will be provided once our beta program is complete.
don't like the sound of that :p

hmm, interesting. My dad is in South Africa right now, might call him later using this and tell you guys about it!

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
don't like the sound of that :p

Yeah, I believe once the beta is complete, they will be adding a paid PC-to-Phone service. However, they currently plan to keep PC-to-PC calls free.

o_87: Let us know what you think. :)

Seeing as it's the new pc->pc technology that supposedly makes this app stand above the rest, I think they should leave it at that. PC->phone apps are worthless.

tried that, cant hear anything from my friend.

icq, msn, yahoo..... also have this kind of service

All existing voice/video chat services use VoIP protocols such as H.323 or SIP. Skype is supposed to be different in that it uses a true P2P protocol. Honestly, the video/voice quality in MSN Messenger is superb when both sides are using broadband connections. As I said earlier, although there are so many voice chat services already available, I'm curious to see what the P2P telephony of Skype can accomplish.

H323 (which is a umbrella standard encompassing lots of protocols) is used by most VoIP applications, commonly used among these in applications like Netmeeting is G.729 and the voice quality is really good, at about 13k each way you dont need much more than a 128K connection to get good results. However, with a little tweaking you can get G.711 running on Netmeeting (its CITTT in the Audio options) and that is uncompressed voice at 64k - as good as a traditional telephone service - give or take a bit of delay for transmission. You can get this running no problem if you have a 512k connection.

With P2P the quality will be determined by the protocol that the application decides to use, and the chances are that it will either be the same as whats available already or potentially worse depending if any nodes on the net have been optimised to recognise H323 traffic or not. Which to be honest - they probably have not - but there a hell of a lot more chance of it than any P2P app has.

In reality this is just a lot of hooha about nothing - we already have these capabilities for free.

I'm going to try it tonight for real. Is this any better than talking over Teamsound?

Nobody seems to have tried it yet, and neither have I. Perhaps you could post some feedback here after you try it tonight, HandyBuddy.
:)

Voice is nice. Webcams and video conferencing is better and messenger supports both. :D

Myself & 3 others have used this regularly since it came out. We have had no problems so far except 1..Skype started send error messages to us at the sametime..it was a Network thing I guess. Other than that, it does what it says. About Kazaa, it's not made by Sherman's Kazaa...but the people who 1st made Kazaa...at least thats what I read somewhere.

Anyone here uses it? I just saw it on tech TV and I downloaded it. Its from the guys who I think made Kazaa. Its a free P2P service that is use to make phone calls on the PC. Any input would be nice heres the link.
http://www.skype.com/skype.html

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back