Size of some Linux's

N

Not Bman

Windows XP, one disc, Ubuntu is one disc, plus u can have alot of live cds with linux on it. Today I went and checked out SUSE 10 and there are 5 cds. I was uh alright, and I noticed Fedora Core 5 is around that too.

Why do these ones have so many cds?

Supplied software.

After all, the Linux kernel itself isn't really that big. If "Company #1" supplies only the basics (no GUI, lynx browser, mutt mail, etc) their package will span only one CD.

If "Company #2" wishes to supply Gnome, KDE, and a plethora of other environments, along with packages and software for each, their distro will likely span a few discs.

so linux can be smaller or much larger then windows, really weird lol

so SUSE 10 will have many more options (or bullcrap) lol

Admiral Michael said:
It wont ask for all the disks, just depends on what you choose to install.
Exactly.

A prime example is the fact that Linux runs on a Nintendo DS... it's about 4mb for the entire distro. Also there's DamnSmallLinux, 50mb, if you want a "proper" linux.

Then there are those which span upwards of 7 CD's, or 2 DVD's!

I have been using Ubuntu, but been checking out SUSE 10.1, which looks pretty good.

Thanks for the info, didn't know the differences

Like you, I myself love using Ubuntu :) My fav so far. but I have been trying out
"Mandriva One" Its a live CD as well as an Full OS install. It does use KDE which I don't care for verses Gnome. But an in all it seems pretty flawless and a very smooth running OS

Give it a try
http://www.mandriva.com/community/mandrivaone

yea I might do that, but I might try SUSE first i dunno yet

OK, as long as your looking at SuSE 10, I went with the Gnome interface and am running it as a dual boot. There is also a KDE interface, but the Gnome, just looks better.

The more I play with it the more I like it, and I find that I only boot into windows to run games, unfortunately, I like playing games.:(

hold on and I'll post some screenies.

yea from all the linuxs I have tryed, gnome looks much better

here ya go, Suse 10

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    774.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot-1.png
    Screenshot-1.png
    882.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot-2.png
    Screenshot-2.png
    434.1 KB · Views: 65

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back