• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sitemap howto

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

Looking for a good tut/tool to build a sitemap for my site.

Never did one before, no idea where to start, and where to put it once completed.

Thanks,

Heeter

AllWeatherGal

Not Just for Fair Weather
Political User
Hey all,

Looking for a good tut/tool to build a sitemap for my site.

Never did one before, no idea where to start, and where to put it once completed.

Thanks,

Heeter
Many designers use a tool like Visio to storyboard their site flow and navigation. The map develops from logical content flows, IMO.

I know that project managers often use PowerPoint to structure information, but I think that results in a less strong user experience.

Visio is pricey, but I'm sure there are less expensive products. Still, there's no substitute for user/reader advocacy guiding all your decisions.

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
The only way I have ever used a sitemap is if I was using a CMS. Which they do it automatically I think. Besides that I have never used or made one before but I have also heard that many designers do use Visio.

AllWeatherGal

Not Just for Fair Weather
Political User
Interesting SpeedyB! Your answer reminds me that the perspective will inform a good decision:

1. whether the map is for
-- Real People to read and understand
-- automagic tools like search engines

2. whether the map
-- retroactively records what is
-- proactively helps determine navigation/flow

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Ha, Great, Thanks Speedy.

Created one in a couple of secs using my Openoffice writer and saving it as .xml

I was wondering that there should have been a better way than to buy Visio for created a 1Kb sized document.

Thanks again,

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grovo_test