Site suggestions

coathanger007

Tomorrow Tweaking Today
First off, I'd like to thank all the staff at NTFS for the maintenance and upkeep of this site. I've said this before but I'll say it again. Sounds like you guys don't get enough thanks around here - so much so that you assume every suggestion is a criticism. I'd especially like to thank Jewelzz for her efforts in continually updating the news on the frontpage. Seems that her rock solid persona took a bit of a hit from my last comments which was not intended (my smilies were completely misinterpreted). I've also recevied a lot of helpful tech support from you guys and given back in return - that's how a community forum should operate.

Secondly, I'm now in the 'Problems & Feedback' section so I hope I don't get flamed like I did in the 'News Headlines' section. And I have also posted all comments in a single thread so I don't end up hogging the entire page as I did in the great coathanger007 updates train :D

Thirdly, these are suggestions not criticisms. Don't let my avatar scare you. Perhaps if you envisaged me as a cute, cuddly teddy bear, you'd interpret my comments in a more positive light. I'm not a mod/admin (and after a couple of disputes I prolly never will be) so I don't know what has been discussed amongst you guys so please forgive me if I'm repeating points here.

Having got that out of the way, here are my suggestions:

The fonts of the news headings at the top and the navigation links at the side of front page could be enlarged (this is most noticeable in Firebird). You might like to change the navigation links into more prominent buttons.

The scrolling news summaries could be shortened so more news content can be viewed on the front page. e.g. 3Dgamers.com

The submit news button could be placed on the separate news category pages or redirected to a sub categorized 'New Headlines' section so there's no multiplicity of postings.

You might like to incorporate more personalized skinnable interfaces. Lots of sites now have this feature - especially since grey (previously black) is not everyone's favourite colour.

There's a good chance you're getting more hits in your forum than your front page. So perhaps instead of clogging up the front page with adverts, you could spread them over to the forum.

Popup notifications are standard but most people now have popup blockers. Maybe members could download a messenger-like utility for PM notifications and customizable content - e.g. Gamespot.

Your forum does get clogged up with pictures. You might like to set up a separate picture gallery for members (not just confined to pictures of members themselves) e.g. Tweaktown.com

You have a limited number of smilies so not all emotions can be expressed e.g. :cry:

You have a Nvidia FAQ section in the forum. Yet ATi is getting more popular these days. Could add both of these to a subcategorised Graphics section.

So there you have it. I have a couple more but I'll leave you with these main pointer for now :D

Have a nice day :D

there are some good points in there + comments are always welcome :cool:

agree with some of those, I have to say I havent noticed the frontpage fonts thing myself, but I rarely go to the front page :p

Glad to be of service. In the unlevel playing field of the world wide web, innovation is the key to survival :)

Well I have a good emoticon that may be best suited for this site:
spambang.gif

my suggestion would be: please fix the left table layout bug that occurs with firebird.

Originally posted by sboulema
my suggestion would be: please fix the left table layout bug that occurs with firebird.

X-Istence and [e]-Punk were working on that last night

Originally posted by ViperSnake
Does anybody like the smiley smashing the pot of spam emoticon?

:eek:

are you suggesting that all we do here is spam ?

There's already a 'Report' button for spam. It's up to the Mods to filter spam out (whether they do a good job of it is not an argument I'd want to get into). A spam emoticon would just fuel community disharmony (and there's enough of that going round).

I personally don't believe that there is really an argument... I think the Mods do an excellent job of keeping the real spam under control.

Good ideas. A long time ago i suggested the public photo area idea. Some nice software for that includes PhotoPost:

http://www.photopost.com/indexpro.html

It integrates with vBulletin, and lets users post and view pictures. All posts can be moderated so mods can check out the pics for content before adding them, Maybe we could set that up and add some people to "Photo Staff" that moderate photos.

JJB

The fonts of the news headings at the top and the navigation links at the side of front page could be enlarged (this is most noticeable in Firebird). You might like to change the navigation links into more prominent buttons.

This is something we do think about but we don't want them to be too big.

The scrolling news summaries could be shortened so more news content can be viewed on the front page. e.g. 3Dgamers.com

Either way we would still have 10 posts on the frontpage.. but we do have multiple categories.

The submit news button could be placed on the separate news category pages or redirected to a sub categorized 'New Headlines' section so there's no multiplicity of postings.

The submit news link is on every single page in the menu and I am encouraging my news posters to add a link to the module in every single user submission made.

Having a category of user submitted articles is not currently possible in virtuanew 1.0 but I have an idea of what would be good in future and will suggest it and hopefully it will become part of virtuanews 2.0

You might like to incorporate more personalized skinnable interfaces. Lots of sites now have this feature - especially since grey (previously black) is not everyone's favourite colour.

Well we do have multiple themes at the moment, 4 currently. I am regularly making changes to these, once they have settled down and I no longer have to make changes I may add more. Modifying 4 themes at the same time, on both the forums and the main page is ALOT of work.

There's a good chance you're getting more hits in your forum than your front page. So perhaps instead of clogging up the front page with adverts, you could spread them over to the forum.

This is something that I considered but don't really want to write vbulletin 2.0 hacks now that vbulletin3, which must be fairly close now, is so close. Once vb3 has been final for a month or so we will be switching. As soon as it is final I will begin work on it.

Popup notifications are standard but most people now have popup blockers. Maybe members could download a messenger-like utility for PM notifications and customizable content - e.g. Gamespot.

Add ntfs.org to your "whitelists", as long as I am around I am going to battle to make sure that ntfs never has popups

Your forum does get clogged up with pictures. You might like to set up a separate picture gallery for members (not just confined to pictures of members themselves) e.g. Tweaktown.com

No need for this really, hopefully the increase in forum speed makes this even less necessary. Persides, we really really can't afford to shell out for more software ;)

You have a limited number of smilies so not all emotions can be expressed e.g. :cry:

I like my smilies to all be part of the same set and have the same look about them, I would be quite happy to add more of them.

You have a Nvidia FAQ section in the forum. Yet ATi is getting more popular these days. Could add both of these to a subcategorised Graphics section.

The nvidia section is for nvfaq so it made sense to move all the nvidia stuff into there. I can definatly see where you are coming from and considered it myself, but we don't want to make the graphic card forum totally redundent as to be honest, who else is there these days in the market that is worth bothering with!

Re: Re: Site suggestions

Thanks for your response. I think what you meant by your last comment is bunching together ATi with everyone else. Fair enough...until Ati becomes more popular then you may have to switch titles :)

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
The nvidia section is for nvfaq so it made sense to move all the nvidia stuff into there. I can definatly see where you are coming from and considered it myself, but we don't want to make the graphic card forum totally redundent as to be honest, who else is there these days in the market that is worth bothering with!
:

I realize implementing my suggestions will take time - so, guess we'll play the waiting game :)

I really like the halloweeen theme with the bats and ghost. Very nice stuff guys. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back