Site Redesign

Should the OSNN website be redesigned?

• Total voters

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
There have a few threads in the last couple months that have briefly touched on the subject of redesigning the OSNN site. But I felt there should be a dedicated thread on the subject. I realize I am not a influential member by any means, but it only takes one person to start something & get the ball rolling.

I think in the light of Vista coming out in the coming months and this being an Operating System website I think a design in that style would be appropriate and fresh. I think it would not only breathe fresh air into the site but might encourage more users to visit the forums and so forth. Maybe if we also added more guides and other useful information that visitors could use as well as promoting and updating these features. Perhaps software reviews, and stuff along those lines?

We have a lot of talented coders and graphic designers on this site, and I don't think we would would have one ounce of trouble doing this, that is of course if we have the permission from the appropriate people. :nervous:

Let me know what you think, and any ideas or suggestions on designs, content stuff like that. Hopefully this will take off, and we can make it a community project. We can give back to the site that we have enjoyed all these years.

OSNN 2.0 BETA :p

How bout it EP? Jump into the web 2 bubble???

http://msig.info/web2v2/(reflect)OSNN+2.0BETA.png

%28reflect%29OSNN+2.0BETA.png

Web 2.0 is the most annoying phrase in the last 2.0 years! Oh god it's spreading ... 2.0

OSNN has been due for a rework for a while now. We (EP) have looked into but it but nothing has panned out.

I, too, would love to see a new look and I'd be interested (services have been offered before) in helping out.

EP is a busy guy (obviously) and when he has the time I am certain something will happen.

It will happen eventually :p when we change domain names again!

It needs to be done, it's needed to be done for a long time.

its been in the works for some time. always something that gets in the way. plus it hard to comeup with a good design that both looks good and has good usablity. For both front page and forums, its a challenge :)

If OSNN got a 2.0 makeover it would be sweet. No matter what you say about the whole 2.0 crap, it looks amazing.

While a design probably will eventually happen, I don't really see anything wrong with the current setup, except for the fact it's been this way for awhile.

EP will handle it and it will be great, just a matter of when.

It will happen eventually :p when we change domain names again!
aha! resurrect the name thread! someone!!

(or did it get lost in one of the crashes? ;) )

Let's see what .net it can be this time - I doubt there is much room for improvement, but we could take a new one and redirect the old - surely the only WTG at this stage - what about OSNN2.0 or OSNNv2 ? :D

If it does change, can rest assured that we won't suddenly lose the old name as we have done in the past :)

I see that XP-erience and NTFS have both been renewed until 2007, I mean why bother? :s
Neither of them actually points anywhere

how bout a choice in skins...I think mac people would get a kick out of the latest os skin and vista users would get a kick out of vista theme...maybe the board would recognize safari and automatically default to the mac skin, same for ie

firefox users could get a firefox skin?

Last edited:
Bad idea. "Automatic" can also be seen as forcing. I actually don't like skins which resemble an OS at all anyway. The problem isn't so much the visuals (We could go out and install 300 free skins, and even buy some) but rather that the site needs it's own look, a unique style.

I honestly don't have much of a preference either way. So long as the content is fresh, that's the most important thing in my mind. I'd welcome a new design, but I don't necessarily see the need to change what is here now.

Well I am glad to see support for the idea, what do you think it would take to get the ball rolling on this? If someone did some mockups and showed them here perhaps?

Thats actually what I do that for a living, so I am thinking about creating a design or two, but I just wanted some ideas & feedback from the community and powers to be before I did such a thing. Also I didn't want to hastily jump into it just to find out an update is never going to happen or that I wasted my time... etc etc.

Well I am glad to see support for the idea, what do you think it would take to get the ball rolling on this? If someone did some mockups and showed them here perhaps?

Thats actually what I do that for a living, so I am thinking about creating a design or two, but I just wanted some ideas & feedback from the community and powers to be before I did such a thing. Also I didn't want to hastily jump into it just to find out an update is never going to happen or that I wasted my time... etc etc.

I don't know how Electronic Punk feels, but I think that if a design is created by an outside party, it should still be Copyright osnn.net, so that if that person later on has a fallout with any of the admins, or the site they can't go "You are using my copyrighted design" and **** us over.

Thats Fine, I completely understand what you are saying.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back