Site Finally Completed

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
So over the last 2-3 months I have been working on a website. It is finally completed, at least for the most part. I have to do some tweaking on the text, a little bit of the layout, but for the most part it is there.

You guys all give really good tips and critique and such, I'd welcome any and all suggestions to improve it :)

Thanks!

http://www.djrcs.com

Okay first thing. Nifty animation on the logo. However, I think it shouldn't be on a loop. Make it play just once, then stay static. Second, I think you need to replace the header. It's too busy, and the repeating doesn't help.

Perhaps ditch the animated logo and just replace the header with a simple version of the logo?

Oh yeah, your email has probably been harvested by all the spam bots already. Put in a PHP based contact form on the contact page instead.

Finally, maybe you should make all the headings in the text a different color? At least make them a larger font size.

Overall I think the color choice is great. It LOOKS professional, so props. I've seen many "business" websites on these forums that look like utter crap.

Nice job. Clean and professional looking. Though for some reason the forum looks familiar to me.

Yeah, forgot to mention that you should get the forum skinned so that it blends with your site - looks more professional. Wouldn't hurt to make it open in the same page too :p

LeeJend said:
Nice job. Clean and professional looking. Though for some reason the forum looks familiar to me.
I knew that would come up, and it does.

I don't have any hacks or mods installed on the forum, except for one atm while I'm testing stability/functionality on others. The "look" is the default skin for vBulletin. I don't really see a need/reason to change, and the color scheme matches the logo in the top left nicely.

I did mimick some of the setup here, but hey, immitation is the highest form of flattery :p

EDIT: Skinned to match the site isn't a bad idea, interesting concept.

You need to tell the visitors which part of your site they are looking at. For example, if I click on Contact, it just takes me to the page, and Contact is not highlighted.

Try this for a *GREAT* book that is extremely easy to read and very valuable to excellent website design.

Grandmaster said:
Okay first thing. Nifty animation on the logo. However, I think it shouldn't be on a loop. Make it play just once, then stay static. Second, I think you need to replace the header. It's too busy, and the repeating doesn't help.

Perhaps ditch the animated logo and just replace the header with a simple version of the logo?

Oh yeah, your email has probably been harvested by all the spam bots already. Put in a PHP based contact form on the contact page instead.

The animation for the djrcs services in the bottom left is nice, but it really distracts me from reading any of the text on your site. Because each time it lights up with bright white, causing my eyes to wander.

As for the email addresses on the contact page, you should probably remove them, or be prepared for a lot of spam. Could use a form of cloaking using JavaScript, or even better, replace it like Grandmaster said with a PHP based form that will send you the email, means you will get a lot less spam.

I'm with GM and X. The logo needs to stop after one go through. Very distracting.

Also you might want to check the css script for the left hand buttons for the home, services and About us page page - the text is out of alignment if you compare those tabs to the forum and contact pages.

Nice but black?? Business sites should never be black. Ever. :)

Also ignore those who would have you remove email addresses - a business should make every method of contact highly visible and easy to use. You do not want to be using email forms.

The spam thing canbe avoided by havig a seperate mailbox for business stuff so you can wholesale delete spam in outlook or whatever.

Great suggestions and input guys, keep them coming :)

I hope to implement some of these over the next few days, and will update as progress is warranted ;)

Got the forum fitted with a new skin, have to work out a few kinks with it but overall I like it :)

Hi - been offline a few days.... still not spread enough rep around to give you any Dereck, so the least I can do is check your site and give feedback.

One thing no one has mentioned I think is that you have neither incorporated any "links" page (you know, might want to give one over to OSNN to keep in EP's good books for when you want any link back?). More to the point perhaps I am not sure if you wanted to have a "link to us" page that gives a few banners or buttons with HTML for people to link to your site. i am never sure how much these get used, but really even if there's just one or two it is worth having there, not necessarily on the main page of course, unless you wanted to take the "ABOUT US" and shrink it to the bottom alongside a "LINK TO US" but that is detail - the only point I wanted to make, do you want to have a "link to us" page? Might be useful if you want to know where you get linked from also, you can ask them to contact you and give a separate email....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back