Sis

It connects the processor to the card slots, memory (on most processors), and provides functions like LAN, On Board sound, USB, etc.

AMD compatible chipset brands can be SIS, Nvidia, ULI, VIA and on older systems ATI even made it's own chipsets for a while.

There are many different versions of each chipset brand. Which chipset determines what features you have available, what speed and type memory your MB supports, and what processors you can use.

The SIS 765 supports PCI express cards, Athlon 64MB, etc. Since it's an AMD64 CPU the chipset does not have the memory interface (built into the AMD 64 CPUs). Read up on it if you are interested:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/03/21/sis_enters_the_fray/

Last edited:
strictly speaking, the chipset on a64 boards handles the interface between the peripherals, since the memory controller in all K8 CPU's connects directly to the memory. (K8 CPU's include all socket 754, 939, and 940 CPU's, including Semprons, Athlon64, and FX)

Chipset is responsible for IDE control, onboard sound, onboard video, onboard ethernet, among other things. Probably the most important job for K8 chipsets in the interface for graphics, like AGP or PCIe.

SiS isn't really a top tier model, but it should get the job done.

SiS is the crap part of your PC to be breif. THe above posts explain in more detail.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back