Sis

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
It connects the processor to the card slots, memory (on most processors), and provides functions like LAN, On Board sound, USB, etc.

AMD compatible chipset brands can be SIS, Nvidia, ULI, VIA and on older systems ATI even made it's own chipsets for a while.

There are many different versions of each chipset brand. Which chipset determines what features you have available, what speed and type memory your MB supports, and what processors you can use.

The SIS 765 supports PCI express cards, Athlon 64MB, etc. Since it's an AMD64 CPU the chipset does not have the memory interface (built into the AMD 64 CPUs). Read up on it if you are interested:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/03/21/sis_enters_the_fray/

Last edited:
strictly speaking, the chipset on a64 boards handles the interface between the peripherals, since the memory controller in all K8 CPU's connects directly to the memory. (K8 CPU's include all socket 754, 939, and 940 CPU's, including Semprons, Athlon64, and FX)

Chipset is responsible for IDE control, onboard sound, onboard video, onboard ethernet, among other things. Probably the most important job for K8 chipsets in the interface for graphics, like AGP or PCIe.

SiS isn't really a top tier model, but it should get the job done.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut