simple networking question, switches

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
ok simple layout at the moment
2 desktops.
2 servers
1 linksys GB switch.
all computers have static ip address

if i put my DSL modem on my switch. would i just fill in the gateway on my pc to the modems ip to access the net?

Incorrect, you will need a router to distribute the DNS throughout the network

Heeter

If we're just being cheap (won't pay for a router) then run the DSL modem into one of the servers that has 2 NIC ports and use connection sharing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833117301

I know, not a Canadian mail order house but an example of what is available for cheap. NOTE - that is not Linksys, it is a copy cat name brand, but works fine for it's users.

Not 1gbps? Who cares, the cable/dsl limits the rate of data transfer to 10 mbps anyway. Your LAN will still be GB PC to PC.

Last edited:
right now its set up with the modem going in to my pc on nic 2 and the network in nic 1. i just wanted a way to put it in the basement but yea the servers don't have a second nic in them. i may be able to add one tho.

and the main reason is that i now have the gigabit switch. and i don't want to buy a gigabit router LOL my original modem that had the ability to do dhcp and a dns table. it died so this is a temp solution.

right now its set up with the modem going in to my pc on nic 2 and the network in nic 1. i just wanted a way to put it in the basement but yea the servers don't have a second nic in them. i may be able to add one tho.

and the main reason is that i now have the gigabit switch. and i don't want to buy a gigabit router LOL my original modem that had the ability to do dhcp and a dns table. it died so this is a temp solution.

You can do two things.

If your ISP allows multiple PPPoE connections then just setup each computer for PPPoE, this will allow you to place the DSL modem on the switch. ALso, some DSL modems have a router capability or at least are able to handle the PPPoE authentication and issue private IPs.

Second you could buy a router, plug the modem into the Internet port and plug one of the LAN ports into the gigabit switch. The LAN will use gigabit and the internet will use go to the router at 100mbit. I doubt your internet connection will ever hit 100 anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back