Sim City 4 [::experience::]

Cosmin

Graphic Designer
Bought it today .. no major changes at first eye' ..
Poll time ! & give a mark from 1 to 7.5 , I consider ..

Been playing, and I must say it is really fun :happy:

Really good graphics..and I not so easy..that is good.

:)

problems?

hey i bought the game too of what i played its really sweet. only problem is that i have had so many freezes and crashes i dont get that much to play, i can play for like 10 mins and it either freezrs or crashes. did you guys have that problem???

been playing almost everyday since i bought it.. nice graphic . It works alright for me, no crashes or freezes except frequent lagging and that's due to my aging GF2mx. I'm running it at the highest detail with 1024X768 res. with 32 bit color depth.

geez i have had nothin but troubles... i have tryed everything turning my geforce down, running it in 16 bit quality everything and it just freezes... also i emailed them my problem and they told me to change the from directX to the game rendering drivers(freezes) and i also tryed openGL ones(freezes)

i own a geforce 4 ti4600, 768 mb ram, 1.4 athlon, 120 gig hd, xp pro sp1, directx 9. i tryed it when i opened my case up and letting more air into my computer i got to play longer but it still froze

is that a heat issue? if so go buy some fans, if not...

i had the same "problem" when i would run my computer at full speed with the sdram inside it would lock up. i got ddr ram and i have yet to have a lockup.:)

my motherboard doesnt support ddr, so that idea is shot. also the temp i dont think is an issue, i was just testing it and seeing if it was an issue. i think its ea/maxis fault for not doing a good job of testing it and checking for bugs

I only get lagging when there are alot of graphics going, like when the city becomes really big.
I run mine in 1024x768 @ 32bpp.

Try to turn off the night/day changing..it smoothes it up....

"Cosmin": Yes, there are cheats available..and a money trainer if you wish to go further...:p

ok i did that, and it still freezes. anything else? lol seems like im the only luckey one that has this problem!

LoL.. seems till now, u r the 1 "lucky" guy in this world, perhaps maxis/ea games should reward u 4 that. :D

Try update ur directx or GC drivers or any driver in the SU. i'm not using XP Pro S1 but using XP Pro.

Any1 using XP Pro S1 and face any probs?

I was wondering, can a city lives w/o industrial area but only res. and commercial area? pollution in industrial area is bugging me.

:mad: :mad: figures..... the game wont work with newest nvidia drivers, so im using 3.0.8.2. i have seriously tryed about everything so far, i meet all the requirments and everything i dont know whats going on at all, play 5 to 10 mins and then freeze everytime.

The same thing kept bugging me too...too much pollution.

I solved it by placing the industrial area on a distance and created good communication between the (in my case) two areas.
Good road connections ....

The farm industrial area also have to be away from the heavier stuff, it can be close to com. & res. areas. Otherwise it will not grow. It is also important to have good communication for your com. & Ind. areas for trade..with either train, airport or harbour.
And with your neighbours of course..:happy:

Just remember to have good communications.....:)

well im glad you all are having fun playing the game .. good to see what people can do and i cant :blink:

hmm..tricky..

I am using the latest drivers (41.09) ..and it moves on sweet..

Have you had any probs with other games?..

I have a friend with a similar problem. He changed the RAM sticks.
I too only have one now as well... all problems went away then, including the, now classic, infinite loop.
He had two 256 Mb PC133. Bought a new 512 Mb PC133 (different brand) and all the lockings and freezings went away...

i have 2 ram sticks of pc133, i have a 256 pny and a 512 pny. no i play ut2k3 and nothing happens, even before i got SC4 it was working great with the newest nvidia drivers but when i installed the game i double clicked the desktop icon and it would load for 20 seconds and restart... weird things man!!!:confused: i might end up updating my drivers and see if that might solve or make more problems... thanks agian guys for trying.......

Found this at EA:

If the game is failing to start once it is installed it may be due to an issue with your video card. Sim City 4 requires a 16 MB DirectX 7 or higher compliant video card before the game will run properly. Here is a list of supported video cards for the game;

- nVidia RIVA TNT, TNT2, TNT2 M64, & TNT2 Ultra

- nVidia GeForce SDR, GeForce DDR, GeForce Quadro,
GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 MX, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce3,
GeForce4 MX, and GeForce4 Ti 4200/4400/4600

- ATI Radeon 7000, 7200, 7500, 8500, 9000, 9700

- Matrox G400, G450, G550, Parhelia

However if your card is not on this list, and does have at least 16MB of video memory, you can try running the game in software rendering mode to see if your game will launch. To do this:

1. Double-click on My Computer.
2. Double-click on C: drive (also labled local disk)
3. Double-click on Program Files.
4. Double-click on Maxis.
5. Double-click on Sim City 4.
6. Double-click on Apps.

Once in this folder you should see a file labeled SimCity 4.ini. This is the configuration file for the game itself. We will need to make a single edit to it to get the game to run in software rendering mode. To open and edit the file:

1. Right-click on the SimCity 4.ini file and a menu will appear. Select "open" and left-click to open the file.
2. You will now see notepad open the file up. Look for the section labeled "[Current Graphics Driver]".
3. Under this entry you will see three entries that will look similar to this;

[Current Graphics Driver]
;Driver = C4554841 ;OpenGL Hardware
;Driver = 7ACA35C6 ;GRPoly Software
Driver = BADB6906 ;DX7 Hardware

What you will need to do is add a ; to the front of DX7 and OpenGL and remove the one in front of GRPoly. Once finished it will look like this;

[Current Graphics Driver]
;Driver = C4554841 ;OpenGL Hardware
Driver = 7ACA35C6 ;GRPoly Software
;Driver = BADB6906 ;DX7 Hardware

Once done, click on File and then Save in order to save your changes. Keep in mind that once this change is done that the game will always default to Software Rendering mode even if you change the option in the game. You will have to undo this change in order to restore the previous settings. If the game still will not run after making this change, sadly, there is nothing further we can do. We do not issue refunds directly, however we can exchange your game for a sealed copy that you can return to the store from which it was purchased. Send the entire game (CD ROM and packaging) along with a copy of the receipt (If you have the original box you will not need the receipt. If you do not have the box, you will need the receipt), a return address, daytime phone number, and a brief note explaining your situation to:

Electronic Arts Customer Warranty
PO Box 9025
Redwood City CA, 94065-9025

An exchange for a sealed copy must be sent within 90 days of the original purchase. Any further questions regarding our warranty policy should be sent to warranty1@ea.com. We suggest that customers use a traceable method when sending in software for replacement. Electronic Arts is not responsible for any packages lost in the mail.

...that and turn off other programs running behind...and update driver....as they always come with.....:huh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back