Silicon Image Ultra ATA 133 IDE RAID Card

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
I recently ordered and received the above mentioned card and I have run into a bit of a problem. I installed the card and hooked up my 2 drives to it...the master drive into the blue port on the card and the slave into the white port on the card. I then fired up the machine and put the XP cd in to boot off of. I pressed F6 when prompted so I could load the driver for the RAID card. The driver loaded and the installation continued. It then came time to install XP and to accept the license agreement and then create a partition and so forth. The hard drive information is as follows. The master hard drive is a Western Digital WD400 40.0 GB 5400 RPM drive. The slave is a Western Digital WD450AA 45.0 GB 5400 RPM drive. I chose to create a 10 gig C:\ drive and pressed enter to install into that partition. I then got a message that the other hard drive needed to have a partition on it because some information needed to be written to it. So I created one big partition on the other drive and formatted it NTFS. The install process then let me format the 10 gig C:\ as NTFS also. The install process then proceeded to copy files and finish the install. The machine rebooted and when it tried to load the OS...I got this message..."Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information." and just stops right there. Now I read an article in PC Magazine about IDE RAID and it said the drives do not have to be the same size to use them like they do in a SCSI RAID configuration. I looked at the documentation that came with the RAID card and it had nothing in it related to this. Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this problem? Any input would be appreciated...:)

Need a little more info please. Were you trying to make a stripe, a mirror, or just use the drives normally on your raid card? If you were going for a 0 stripe, windows should not see your individual drives in setup but rather one big drive. You would not be asked to format the 2 drives individually but to format 1 big drive. Also scsi usually needs to be enabled as the first boot device when booting from a raid controller.

Um, just noticed this as well. If your running off of both raid Ide ports you should be using two masters, not a master and a slave.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back