signature linkage

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
I'm posting this as a new thread since the appropriate one is locked as a sticky here. The "Please Review Signature Guidelines" includes the following:

DO NOT link your signature off the osnn.net forums. If you do you will be BANNED from the forums!

I am perfectly fine with this rule, but I think it should either be enforced or not listed at all. There are some members here who've had their signatures linked outside of OSNN for a long time. I haven't minded the links at all, but seeing that this is a clearly written rule, and one that threatens severe punishment, prompts me to mention it. The last thing I want is to see someone get reprimanded on this while others are doing the exact same thing. It should be all or nothing -- either way is fine with me.

(Note: This is by no means pointing fingers at any one member for doing this, nor at any mod for not taking action against it. Matt, nice job with clearly posting these rules.)

I would assume that just needs to be revised, most noteably because our F@H sigs HAVE to be linked off for appropriate statistic reporting.

Just my .02

i wonder what bandwith we are using per month. If we are cutting it close i think its more of a issue. Guess thats a question for whoever pays the bill EP id imagine hehe.

This is the way I interrupt this rule. If you are a member of another forum do NOT link your signature on that forum from this forum.

That rule has been there since the dawn of time. Though to be honest, it makes no real sense, we don't host sigs here (unless people are using the gallery?) and therefore they can not be linked anywhere else.... avatars on the other hand, are a different matter.

Well the stuck post was put there last month, and that rule was bolded as if it were very important. I say we revise it very specifically, or remove it altogether.

The sticky is (relatively) new, but the avatar/sig guidelines have always been here, which is where the text was originally.

This is the way I interrupt this rule. If you are a member of another forum do NOT link your signature on that forum from this forum.

Stop interrupting rules :p

Well the stuck post was put there last month, and that rule was bolded as if it were very important. I say we revise it very specifically, or remove it altogether.

As Speedy_B said, it was more of a copy/paste job from the original guidelines, found here -

http://www.forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=34

I know the rules have always been there, but the thread repeating those rules is new, giving the impression that the rules listed are going to be enforced to a higher degree beginning at the time the thread was posted (last month).

The rule needs clarification. I'll come up with a suggestion since I'm the one who pointed it out.

A suggestion...

Linking your signature outside of OSNN for the purposes of marketing/advertising or promoting a competing forum or website is prohibited. If you aren't sure about your situation then ask first or don't link from your signature at all.

I think that you're interpreting the rule differently to what it should be.

The original rule applies to uploading an image to OSNN.net, then hotlinking to that image on mysite.com rather than hosting the image at mysite.com.

It doesn't refer to putting outgoing links in your signature. :)

This can prob be changed now as we do have a new feature for hosting signature images, you guys tried it out yet?

I think that you're interpreting the rule differently to what it should be.

The original rule applies to uploading an image to OSNN.net, then hotlinking to that image on mysite.com rather than hosting the image at mysite.com.

It doesn't refer to putting outgoing links in your signature. :)

OK, that is a completely different translation and I never read it that way. In that case, if some version of that rule needs to be in place then it needs to be more clearly written. :)

Well as an integrated feature I guess I can disable hotlinking so it will only appear on the osnn forums.

I guess I am a little confused about what this rule actually means. Lets say you use a image hosting site for your sig, such as imageshack.us. They automatically place a link to their site within the html code they give you for the image. (unless you use the direct image and do it manually) Are you saying that this is against the rules?

Does need to be clearer, but what it means is if that you upload an attachment to osnn, don't use it elsewhere, its an old pre-vb3 rule actually but was to save bandwidth when that was an issue.

Oh I see, so if you were to upload the image here and then use that link at another site as well. Ok, that is much clearer.

not that, we pay the same but get 2 terrabytes, not too shabby

On average how much bandwith do we use a month? If you dont mind me asking that is. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back