Siemens as an employer?

Petros

Thief IV
I'm being offered a job by Siemens (although they're going to have to ratchet up their offer if they are serious about me) and I was wondering if anyone here works for them or knows someone. Are they a decent company to work for? I know it's a very general question, but let me know anything you've heard about them.

I worked for them for several years..

Which Operation Company (Business Unit, Division, whatever you want to call it) are you looking at working for?

What position are they trying to hire you for?

Siemens shouldnt even be in business today... we are talking about the same company who built the ovens and gas chambers for the Nazis in WWII

:(

mlakrid said:
Siemens shouldnt even be in business today... we are talking about the same company who built the ovens and gas chambers for the Nazis in WWII

Siemens are a German company...

Petros, I don't think the name of the company matters as such. It's the career prospects that you should be thinking about - what options will you have after you leave your post, and where you really want to be heading.
Communication & skills the key to moving up the ladder.

mlakrid said:

so, are saying that every business, or organization that ever helped the nazi's should be forced to close their doors? The great majority of German companies aided the Nazi war effort (BMW, Daimler-Benz, VW, etc) and there also reports that both Ford and IBM also worked and collaborated with the Nazi regime prior to the US entering the war. And don't forget the Swiss banks that helped to hide all their stolen art and bank accounts..

Compaines (like people) have made stupid and boneheaded decisions. Both are capable of change. A company today should not forever be blacklisted for the stupid decisions it made in it's past under different leadership.

Now, should they shoulder some responsibility and remorse? Yes.. absolutely. Should they try to make amends for their past mistakes.. again yes. But should they be forced to close their doors? No.

Understand, I have no love affair with Siemens (or any other german company). Personally, after working for them, I can testify that their "german engineering" is a major culture difference in trying to get things done compared to the US way. For example, when they plan out a project, they expect every step from idea to production planned out before even starting the real work where here, we tend to "fly by the seat of our pants" a little more. There is planning here, but we are a little more flexible when the work starts and shows that the project isn't working like it was orignally planned.

fitz said:
so, are saying that every business, or organization that ever helped the nazi's should be forced to close their doors? The great majority of German companies aided the Nazi war effort (BMW, Daimler-Benz, VW, etc) and there also reports that both Ford and IBM also worked and collaborated with the Nazi regime prior to the US entering the war. And don't forget the Swiss banks that helped to hide all their stolen art and bank accounts..

Compaines (like people) have made stupid and boneheaded decisions. Both are capable of change. A company today should not forever be blacklisted for the stupid decisions it made in it's past under different leadership.

Now, should they shoulder some responsibility and remorse? Yes.. absolutely. Should they try to make amends for their past mistakes.. again yes. But should they be forced to close their doors? No.

Understand, I have no love affair with Siemens (or any other german company). Personally, after working for them, I can testify that their "german engineering" is a major culture difference in trying to get things done compared to the US way. For example, when they plan out a project, they expect every step from idea to production planned out before even starting the real work where here, we tend to "fly by the seat of our pants" a little more. There is planning here, but we are a little more flexible when the work starts and shows that the project isn't working like it was orignally planned.

There is a LARGE difference between a company offering its goods, say mercedes for its power plants for cars, planes etc, and to a company (Siemens), which by its OWN admision, said they did what the NAZI regime wanted, and re-tooled there specific industrial engineering efforts to make huge EZ-bake ovens, WHAT THE HELL were they going to use them for?

IT does NOT take a genious to ask such questions, and NO not all companies who helped support the war effort should have been punished but there should also be common sense as to what you are doing... especially when what you are doing and/or constructing will help in the annialation of millions of people... sorry man, you have had MANY MANY good posts, this one, however, is not...

compare apples to apples, not eggs to cows....

if you had compard Siemens to the group of engineers here in the US who helped create Fatman and Littleboy, I would have agreed... or even if you had compared Siemens to any other company who afforeded the Nazis with weaponry.

As for your comments about closing a company, I disagree, I think after the war, the world knowing what siemens help do, should have forced that company out of business, there was a NEED for the people, a responsibility of the companies people to SPEAK OUT against what they were building....
they didnt...

DO I hold those people who work for Siemens NOW responsible, of course not....

ANYWAY, Petros I apologize, I was not trying to hijack your thread, I needed to respond to this however...

If you lived in NAZI, Germany in the year 1935 and you owned a company you would have done whatever it took to keep Hitler and his regime happy.

I won't deny it, I would have. Loyalty is better than death.

But yeah, we hijacked his thread.

Petros said:
I'm being offered a job by Siemens (although they're going to have to ratchet up their offer if they are serious about me) and I was wondering if anyone here works for them or knows someone. Are they a decent company to work for? I know it's a very general question, but let me know anything you've heard about them.

If the money's good, and as mentioned the prospects once inside look promising, go for it. Solid company, solid reputation for their products.

madmatt said:
If you lived in NAZI, Germany in the year 1935 and you owned a company you would have done whatever it took to keep Hitler and his regime happy.

I won't deny it, I would have. Loyalty is better than death.

But yeah, we hijacked his thread.

*puts gun away*

Sorry.. didn't mean to totally hijack the thread.. I'll refrain from making any more comments containing Nazi, World War II, and Hilter from here on out in this thread.

Anyway, having worked for Siemens, different groups within Siemens have different cultures. Thus, working for Siemens Medical will not be the same as working for Siemens Energy & Automation or Siemens ICN.

Thus my question on which group are you looking to work for and what kind of position?

Sorry I haven't gotten to this thread today, but yes, it's with Siemens Medical calibrating and troubleshooting medical equipment in the San Francisco area (in Oakland and Fremont...I'm not so sure I want to be anywhere near Oakland though).

Big customer of my company

We've also done work for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back