Sidewinders wont work

A

avsdotcom

A friend of mine is having trouble with a sidewinder force feedback joystick (gameport connection) and XP Pro. It will not recognise the joystick at all. He has had a look for updated drivers but to no avail. Apparently microsoft forums are full of people having the same problem with the gameport version of the stick. I use the USB version and have had no probs with it (although mine isn't a force feedback).
Does anyone know of a possible fix/patch for this as I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would not support their own products for XP.

Does he by any chance got a USB DSL modem ?? Alcatech USB modem ??

i have the exact same problem although it is not the same jystick, BUT if i unplug my USB modem the gamepad works and gets recognized, Alcatech is L A M E at trying to fix it, they say it is an IRQ conflict, but the modem does not seem to be using an IRQ or at least no on the device manager, not even the USB hub is using a IRQ maybe there is a way to change it but at leat not a simple way.

've been haviung that problem for like 2 months no workaround other than unplguing the modem or taking out the drivers.

so if you got a USB modem check that out.

nIabI

Ok do this.

Control Panel/ Gaming devices. & select microsoft auto detect. in the add new device.

Thats kinda obious and i have tried it, no work here :D

nIabI

XP shouldn't have any problems detecting the joystick as it's drivers come with the OS, I didn't have any problems with mine and it uses the gameport not USB, although I'm using XP home, but that shouldn't matter

Thanks for the help, but none of the above will work, and as far as I'm aware the auto detect feature in control panel will only work with sidewinder pads (well, it works with my pad but wont work with my joystick). It does actually show up in gaming controllers as OK, but when u go to look at properties it just says that nothing is connected. Also, it wont recognise a sidewinder pad AT ALL.
The gameport is installed and recognised so there doesn't seem to be a problem there. Any other ideas ?

Well as i said thats the SAME EXACT problem i got, the pad says OK but when i play or try properties it says not connected.

check IRQs if you don't have an USB modem maybe it is a IRQ conflict. i think XP sucks at that, i ahd no problem on Windows ME

nIabI

I have a Sidewinder Force feedback Pro Joystick and XP Pro autodected it perfectly.

It is not a USB device, it is just normaly conneted to the Game Port...
..and it was even detected without being connected to the power supply

Update - spoke to my mate last night and he DID have a USB modem (my mistake, he's just bought it and I didn't know :rolleyes: ) He has tried it without the modem plugged in but still no luck. He even completely uninstalled the modem, but it made no difference. Needless to say, he's not best pleased 'cos he's just spent £1300 on a new system and he can't use his joystick or joypad with it. Gutted :eek:
Anyway, I'm going down there tomorrow to watch the footy (and he's giving me his old 40 gig harddrive as he's now got 4 x 80 gig drives!!) so I'll have a better idea of whats going on then, hopefully.
Thanks for all the replies anyway, I'll post back with the results tomorrow 'cos I'm not having it that neither of them work.

re prob

try unpluging the game pad and delete it in game controllers in control panel then see if your joystick works hope this helps

Apparently yes, but when he clicks properties it says its not installed - thats with the joystick. The pad doesn't show at all.

just in case you haven't tried it, have you tried the Joypad on another PC ???

just wondering :D

nIabI

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back