Shutdown !

UniSol

I'm all ears
Im running XP and it never used to turn off after shutdown, so I changed the PSU setting or something in the Hardware Manager (Like told in previous posts). Now my machine will reboot even when I click shudown - LOL:mad:

im at work, so no XP in front of me ......

but im pretty sure its in the power management area ...

right click on desktop>properties>sceen saver>Power>APM>enable Avanced Power Management support

In some cases you'll need a BIOS update. My board needs to be updated.

Stupid Question 2.

How do I update my BOIS

Stupid Question 3.

How do I find out my BIOS - Goto Setup at Boot?

Stupid Question 4.

HELP!?

:D

It's usually the DEL key during the boot process of your hardware.
You'll need to know the manuf. and version of your BIOS. check your motherboard manual. Updating your BIOS is tricky and potentially dangerous. I'm too chicken shit to do it, so I live with holding in my power button for 4 seconds to get it to shut off instead of having it shutdown automatically.

^^^^
roflmao, great post.

Yes, if done incorrectly you will cook your bios chip bad enough to not be able to boot your computer. But it's just part of the learning curve. Sometimes a thing as small as a bios update can net great returns - not just for the problem you're experiencing with shutdown but for overall performance.

I've flashed my board at least a dozen times. Of course i never deviate from the manufacturers instructions on flashing it... too risky. Just read until you understand, and then go for it. Just read everything, don't skip that last sentence.

I got a Gateway computer, I dont think I got a manual, also checked BIOS and no info could be displayed (shit).

Tried everything software I could think off and so did my mate 'ROCK' :(

One thing that was suggested is it is because in 'device manager' under 'Computer' mine says 'Standard PC' and not 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC'

My computer supports this but isnt working (obviously)

Anyone help out with that part/s ???

Thanks again! :confused:

Originally posted by Lonman
^^^^
roflmao, great post.

Yes, if done incorrectly you will cook your bios chip bad enough to not be able to boot your computer. But it's just part of the learning curve. Sometimes a thing as small as a bios update can net great returns - not just for the problem you're experiencing with shutdown but for overall performance.

I've flashed my board at least a dozen times. Of course i never deviate from the manufacturers instructions on flashing it... too risky. Just read until you understand, and then go for it. Just read everything, don't skip that last sentence.

Damn tootin it can fry a BIOS...:D

I've done about maybe 50 BIOS updates, and only managed to bubgle up one job (the floppy apparently decided to have one of those bad moments, and the install *flopped* because of it. Luckily, Epox RMAed the board and sent me a NEW one :)

But yeah, that was a scary experience :eek: and not one I'd like to repeat.

So the moral of the story is, when doing updates, follow the directions to the letter, make sure your power isnt about to go out, and for god sakes...MAKE SURE YOUR FLIPPIN' FLOPPY DONT FLIP OUT AND FLOP YOUR UPGRADE!!! :D

Words for the wise, direct from the wiseass :D

P.S.--UniSol, I'll get to your problem later. I'm a bit tipsy right now (belated News Years celebration :D ), and I dont think you'd want my advice right at the current moment :)

Cheers!

UniSol

What model Gateway do you have? Give me a quick rundown on your setup.

Thanks.

Gateway GP6-350 Hightower.

devman.JPG

power.JPG

Pentium II 350 MMX
192MB Ram
Geforce 2 MX
10GB harddrive
Windows XP Pro

Dont ask for much more ...

The thing is it used to work fine 98, ME and XP, but since format and reinstall doesnt work, DOH!

HELP ME! heehhe

Go to the Gateway support site and download a new BIOS if you havent already. Their almost certain to have one, but they now base their inquirys on the serial # of the computer, not the model # :mad: so I couldnt find out much about that for your paticular system. They should have some decent documentation on your system, like how to get into the BIOS, upgrading, etc. Hopefully your system isnt too old to be in their knowledge base, or you may have a problem...

Upgrading the BIOS would be the first choice I'd make. Not 100% sure it will fix it, but its the best guess right now. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but they want the information that you should have there, so I couldnt look further on your system. But looking over your pics, your system should work ok, if the BIOS can be updated. It doesnt look like you have any other components that should give you any problems.

Holler back if they dont have what you need, we'll try and figure something else out...

Later.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back