Shut that damned machine up !!

Bytes Back

Ex Police Chief
My machine dove my wife nuts. The noise was horrific, so I invested in a silent poersupply, silent case fan and silent processor fan.

All was well in the Bytes Back stately home until I changed my chip. The Silent processor fan wasn't good enough any more. So I thought, no problem, I'll get another. Except they dont do them for this chip but they do do this ...............

http://www.quietpc.com/cpucooling.php#flower

Has anybody used one of these, if so what are they like.

Thankyou :D

I havent tried one I was thinking of getting the one for my GeForce, my MB Chipset and one fro my processor, if anyone has used one let us know how its going.

I wouldn't use it, you still need air moving for the fins to be truly effective, if your that worried about noise go to a watercooling setup

Thermaltake Volcano 7 is fairly quiet and very efficient.

Just let me know if you happen to have an Asus A7A266. You have to "goof" with it to get it to fit. All other boards are ok as far as I know.

Yes the thermtake is quiet, but it's not silent !! The problem is the wife suffers from me *whoops* tinnutus and fan noise drives her up the pole.. If I dont shut it up I'll be consigned to the south wing and you dont want to know what lurks down there :D

As for it will need air movement it comes with a silent fan which you mount above it.

Originally posted by duder
I wouldn't use it, you still need air moving for the fins to be truly effective, if your that worried about noise go to a watercooling setup

How does the water get round, I assume it uses a oump and pump equals noise :(

I went from a Volcano 6 cu+(7,000 rpm) to a Volcano 7(variable speed). The difference in noise was amazing!

you can get water kits with variable fan speeds and yes they are quiter than most hsf and the market, also water is a way better heat conducter than copper

but its also better in the long run, lower temps mean longer chip life

What I'm trying to get accross to you guys is I need SILENCE!

I appreciate all your input. But what I really need is a passive cooling system thats as near to silence as you can get.

Thanks so far

Build another room? j/k Umm, there is some "sound damping" things you can do to the box. Like here and there are others.

I don't know about this new CPU cooler.
First off it says, " 92mm Ultra-Quiet fan with 3-pin connector" Is this 3 pin connector a standard power connector or motherboard connector? Reason I ask is, will your motherboard monitoring software be able to read fan speed? And will this setup affect the way your monitoring software reads CPU temp? Plus, does you case configuration have enough room for the larger cooler and 92mm fan assembly?

Originally posted by gonaads
Plus, does you case configuration have enough room for the larger cooler and 92mm fan assembly?
Hell I have a 120mm "blow hole" as an intake on the front of my machine.

Give me a dremel and a six pack, we'll cool that thing down.:eek:

Originally posted by xsivforce
Hell I have a 120mm "blow hole" as an intake on the front of my machine.

Give me a dremel and a six pack, we'll cool that thing down.:eek:

:D

Yes you can monitor the fans, I already have most of the silent stuff and it really is silent. I also do already have case damping

As for the room I cant see a problem with that :D

At Overclockers Online you can do a search of their site cooling solutions for prettymuch any CPU, heatsink and fan config setup you want , lots of write ups on them with pros and cons, sound levels and stuff.

http://www.overclockersonline.com/index.php

Originally posted by Bytes back

I already have most of the silent stuff and it really is silent.

I like just alittle noise. Don't want to fall asleep at the wheel. :D

Originally posted by xsivforce
How well did the "case damping" material work? Is it dynamat ?

Yes it is, stops all the rattles and vibrations, Works well, not a total solution but what it does, it does well.

Originally posted by Bytes back

Yes it is, stops all the rattles and vibrations, Works well, not a total solution but what it does, it does well.
Good, I thought about trying it. I think I will now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back