SHUT down times SLOWWWW

O

oO ShifterZ Oo

could anyone plz help me on about my shut down time, its kinda sluggish. kinda slow it maybe takes 2 min to shut down, i got xp pro. i have the settings in reg. as follows
uner HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP
(autoendtask) 1
(hungAPPtimeout) 5000
(waittokillapptimeout) 4000

is there anything i did wrong, its kidna slow.

Then that would be a no ;)

Are you on a network?

Also, look in msconfig and make sure there are no programs starting that you aren't aware of.

The timeouts that you have set should speed up shutdown considerably.

You could also try defragmenting the drive, if you haven't done so already.

Originally posted by NetRyder
The timeouts that you have set should speed up shutdown considerably.
Actually those registry settings will only help with stuck aps. They will have no bearing on a normal shutdown.

Hmmm ... it did make a significant difference on my `puter after I changed the timeouts, although none of my apps hang at shutdown.

What can I tell you? The power of suggestion I guess. ;)

Anyway, those settings are strictly for shutting down hung aps.

yes i am on a network, and i think i might have touch the pagefile wit a tweak program but not so sure. and yes as we speak i am scan discing the drive as well as defrag. the drive. any more suggestions.

1) Systems with network connections take longer to shut down because the protocols required to connect to the network take a little time to unload.

2) If you have tweaked your system to clear the pagefile on shutdown that would certainly be time consuming.

first of, try taking a 0 of those values

also

try this

open regedit

Hkey_Local_Machine/system/currentcontrolset/control

then change waittokillservicetimeout to a lower number like 3000 or 4000 (or lower)...that way xp will wait less time before killing services as it shuts down

Regarding the above suggestion, it may or may not be helpful to you depending on what's holding up your shutdown, but you should be aware of one potential problem: if XP shuts down without sending proper notification to certain services, there is a possibility of creating corrupted data stores. While this is not a likely occurance, the possibility does exist.

allan
1) Systems with network connections take longer to shut down because the protocols required to connect to the network take a little time to unload.

2) If you have tweaked your system to clear the pagefile on shutdown that would certainly be time consuming.

well, i think 1) isnt a problem becuase my other machines (but not so powerful as mine) shuts down quickyly, and they are running win95 and winxpPRO.

i think the factor is maybe 2) becuase maybe i change the settings, ima try to find the program again to change it so it wont, but if i dont do u know how to do it manulaly.

well, i tried to search for the tweak program, i thoguht was xteq or tweakui but it wasnt, so i think that the reason for the slow shutdown time is becuase of the pagefile is being cleared during shutdown. DOES anyone know how to get rid of it.

Start - Run - Regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Double-click on ClearPageFileAtShutdown in the right side pane

Change the value to 0 (zero - to disable)

Exit Regedit and Reboot

Allan, thanks for the tips! I just logged on to get the registry key for memory management and this thread helped. I'm always getting "not enough memory" when I shut down, but I have 256MB of RAM. Need to reset my page file.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back