Shut Down PC's Remotely

jonny813

OSNN Addict
Is their a script or such that can be created to shut down PC's running XP Pro from a Windows Server 2003 domain controller. If so what should they look like? thnx

open a cmd window and type in shutdown. It ill give you all the options, so long as the systems are configured for the incoming request it will work.

I tried it using the graphical tool and it worked great thnanks (reps) is their any way however to create a shortcut to the GUI (shutdown /i)on the desktop<I'm lazy lol

Go new>shortcut and for location use:

shutdown -i

click next and name it what you want.

Mike

You want GUI? Here's what you can do.

From Active Directory, find the computer you want to "manage". Right click and choose Manage. Once Computer Management opens right click "Computer Management COMPUTER" and choose Properties. Under the Advanced tab click Settings under Startup and Recovery. Click Shutdown and do your thing.

Enjoy.

I would also recommend a nice free utility called SpecOps GPUpdate which integrates into the ADUC MMC which makes these steps much shorter. It also has the added benefit of allowing you to remotely force a policy update on the remote computer instead of waiting for the random times.

Just a brief plug, their paid software for software deployment (SpecOps Deploy) is excellent as well and, in my opinion, is what Group Policy Software Deployment really should have been in the first place.

note: I don't work for them, but I am a happy customer of theirs.

You want GUI? Here's what you can do.

From Active Directory, find the computer you want to "manage". Right click and choose Manage. Once Computer Management opens right click "Computer Management COMPUTER" and choose Properties. Under the Advanced tab click Settings under Startup and Recovery. Click Shutdown and do your thing.

Enjoy.

Cool, never saw that gui before :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back