Show super hidden files

E

ExWhap

To show super hidden files (and there's alot of them)

Copy paste this and insert it into a reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"SuperHidden"=dword:00000001
"ShowSuperHidden"=dword:00000001

Stop paste.

You'll see alot of extra hidden files from now on :)

Sorry if this has been brought up before!

Excellent tip. Used it already! See all those backup Temporary Internet files.........all gone........so easily.

Thanks again
TOK

this sounds excellant..haven't tried it yet...gonna spread the word around

mine were already enabled. :confused: you sure that's not the same as unchecking the hide protected operating system files or show hidden files and folders in folder options?

I don't want to scare everybody...but there are hidden files that you can only view in dos...I was hoping this registry entry would make those available...they don't...if you don't know what I'm talking about, read this

If you use NTFS Alternate Data Streams you/someone can "hide" a file. The knowledge base article shows the syntax of the file. For example, say i have a Word document called secrets.doc and I have little brat of a brother that likes to snoop around, although I have the document password protected, I could create a text file called no_sercret.txt, then concatenate the Word document to an alternate data strem in the text file and now have a file called no_secret.txt:sercrets.doc.

I could then concatenate another Word document to another alternate data stream of the same text file have the following:

no_secret.txt:secrets.doc
no_secret.txt:_password.doc

When "the brat" does a dir command, it will only show no_secret.txt

You can use any backup software that knows about NTFS, you can copy to any NTFS disk even over a network.

;)

ExWhap ... ur the same ExWhap who started helping out in our #xperience chat channel ? Or u someone else ?

where the heck have u been?

All great suggestions guys... i can think of one that i use here at work...

We keep a local copy of an audit file of a user's pc prior to shipping it to them..that way, we know for sure whats on the pc..and to verify when it comes in for a fix..if there has been any changes from the user on their system..

As simple as this sounds...it works..
just rename your "secrets.txt" or "secrets.html"....whatever the file extension may be...and rename it to say... a dll file or other system file..and hide it in your system32 folder, so in this instance secrets.txt is now "winsys.dll" or "sysnt.dll".. then make it hidden and further modify by the security settings to your liking...

just make sure there is not a file with that name already....

and, when you want to see it again..just gain access and rename it....

that simple..and our user's never know its there..

~n
:D

LightWave yeah that would be me, but damn, that's a long time ago =D

Dunno what happened, just didn't come here anymore, you still got that channel on DALnet?

ExWhap
... yeah mate... Its still there.. aint that many users tho..

Join and .. be a frequent user.. u were really helpfull mate.. make ur self worth the op again :p :D hehe ..

Open explorer > Tools > Folder Options

View Tab

Tick "Hide protected operating system files"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back