Should we support P2P programs here??

HellyHans

OSNN Addict
Ok, well we seem to have a couple of issues here with P2P programs.... What do you guys think? Should we answer questions that users have about these such programs??

yes, unless they clearly state that the program is used for warez/downloadz (=illegal) related stuff. But, you can never check that, therefore I say answer everything you can.

well if this is a legit board i would say NO!! the fact that ppl recieve help here to disable features of a program that has a EULA like any other program ...regardless of its use to me is wrong

we all know what P2P is used for by the 90% of llama's that use it so why pretend??

Originally posted by Burpster
well if this is a legit board i would say NO!! the fact that ppl recieve help here to disable features of a program that has a EULA like any other program ...regardless of its use to me is wrong

we all know what P2P is used for by the 90% of llama's that use it so why pretend??

Originally posted by Burpster in Coding & Design
not to bad other than the size of the page :) is that the full PLUS! Digital Media Edition For Windows XP ...i'd like to get that and save the 20$ :)

cheerz

Originally posted by Burpster in Coding & Design
well if you see 24.65.xxx.xxx thats me ....lol

Hmmm......:D :D

alan i probably downloaded in the neighbourhood of half a terrabyte last year .....but i dont discuss that problems that may arise from those activities here :)

that post was purily made to see the reaction from mods and admin ...would take me only a matter of mins to find that MS junk of i chose to :)

Originally posted by Burpster
alan .....that post was purily made to see the reaction from mods and admin ...

Thats what I thought;)

Hmmm kind of like a law enforcement approach to assume guilty until proven innocent eh? and then to assume they are all smelly animals (or at least 90% of them) is kind of rude too :p

I don't care for P2P myself and I haven't used a P2P prog in quite a while now, but I know many people who use it for legit reasons like trying to make their music available to the rest of the world rather than being limited to trying to push the local market. It also costs a helluvalot less to upload mp3s for free than to burn discs to give away for free, or even worse, to go into a professional studio and have a disc recorded, mastered and produced. I also know one person who writes (cheesy) java games that he shares via P2P....

So, to dispute your 90% theory, of the people I know, about 15% use P2P for other than legal purposes.

And to answer the poll, so long as no one is discussing what warez they're snagging from P2P, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be discussed.:huh:

look, we are not going to outlaw wire cutters.

criminals use wirecutters, don't they?..we should out law wirecutters then.

same thing.

there are fine uses for p2p, and they are not at all criminal.

personally, I don't use, and never will use p2p...I send and recieve my files, I don't see any need for sharing my files

but that's not the question

i would say answer the questions. Just because you can download warez with it you dont answer the questions?? Then dont answer question to problems with ftp programs, you can download warez with that. And why answer question about internmet explorer you can download warez with that. Then the whole forum would be useles in my opinion

I would have to say that the stats for legit users of P2P programs versus illegit users would have to be pretty low. Even though we don't have any actual numbers to show proof. Every person I know that uses P2P programs, are for illegal reasons, and I know a lot of people on the net. Even newbs that dont even know how to change their screensaver... the first thing they are wanting to know is how to download albums and movies, and programs. I see it all the time in #beginner and other places. Not to mention the congestion they cause on the internet and costs to ISPs. I don't feel one bit sorry for those who get or will get busted for using them. At any rate, I still feel ntfs.org should NOT provide support for these type programs.

Yes we should

yeah we sould, becuz if we dont that will start a chain reaction in bigger warez sites. yeah there is some warez on p2p but not as much as u can find on the net.:cool:

p2p proggies are basically a medium for warez... its a fact and as a few have pointed out the majority of the users seem to be of the type that dl stuff for personal use (illegally)..

yes there are alternatives... however most users are not advanced enough to know them and I am not going to go against forum guidelines and list them either..

basically this website/forums provide technical support for everybody... if there is a problem we try and help... I do agree with krom however about the help given in this area...

P2P proggys are only used for d/ling warez. No if's and's or but's about it. If you want help with these programs I wont do it. If you are having problems w/ these type of programs you are too much of a n00b to understand any help that is given. Or you are trying to defeat the parameters set in the program itself and that would be a violation of forum gudelines. If you read the EULA in the program you install it states that reverse engineering or decompiliing a program is illegal and subject to fines and or imprisonment. Defeating a programs intended use is also subject to fines and or imprisonment. Cracking a program and or hacking a program also falls into these parameters.
If you are seeking help w/ these programs then I suggest you go to a forum that supports P2P programs, and ask away.

well if this is a legit board i would say NO!! the fact that ppl recieve help here to disable features of a program that has a EULA like any other program

Don't go near the EULA subject... NTFS' own theme patcher violates M$'s. :)

P2P software is just software. Discouraging Q/A over it because of its primary use is like banning WinXP Q/A 'cause someone needs a working OS in order to hack.

Now, responding to Q's such as, "where can I get a warez copy of Photoshop?" or "what the best program for obtaining software?" well, that's a different story, and assisting clearly goes over the line.

Originally posted by Lighter
Don't go near the EULA subject... NTFS' own theme patcher violates M$'s. :)

P2P software is just software. Discouraging Q/A over it because of its primary use is like banning WinXP Q/A 'cause someone needs a working OS in order to hack.

Now, responding to Q's such as, "where can I get a warez copy of Photoshop?" or "what the best program for obtaining software?" well, that's a different story, and assisting clearly goes over the line.
Well said lighter!

I think if the person is requesting help on the confguration of the programe......i.e. how do I stop my firewall from blocking the ports for kazza...... then we should help if we are able to;)

If the request is for ...how do I download warez on kazza its quite obvious that this is going against site/forum guidelines and should not be allowed...........

I just can't see the high and mighty attitude of " its only used for warez so I'm not going to help" is al about:confused:

and pseudo.we were all n00b's at one stage in our pc lives;)

my2cents:D

Alan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back