Should I upgrade to Radeon 9800 Pro

D

Dlovely

I have an OEM Nvidia Quadro4 700 XGL and 900 XGL, the 900 is 128MB. I realize they are more of a CAD type of card so I don't know if I goto a 9800 pro if it's worth the @ 400 bucks. My machine is a overclocked P4 2.4 and 512Mb corsair ram etc... so it's a decent machine so if anybody has input, id appreciate it.

thanks

Oh ya and I also have a Nvidia Fx1000 but I haven't hooked it up yet so it's a shootout b/w the Nvidia 900 XGL, FX1000 or go buy a 9800 Pro for games.

why don't you post what you intend to do with your video card and the price range... it will be easier to judge what to suggest based on your requirements :)

I just plan on using it for gaming pretty much. I'm not a crazy gamer but it seems like the games sometime lag online and i don't know if its the connection or the card. I just don't know what difference I'd see in upgrading. I don't do any CAD drawing, the cards came from work where all the engineer geeks draw things. I would get the 9800 Pro if there was a difference worth getting it but I have no idea what FPS these CAD cards pump out.

Ok, I have the Ati Radeon 9800 Pro All In Wonder. And I LOVE the video card. It hasn't lagged yet with any of the games I play. Hitman 2, SOFII, Battlefield 1942, GTA3 and a bunch of others. I'm still installing games onto this machine to just see what it does.

But if you're worried about spending the $400 for the card, then maybe it's not for you.

The best bang for your buck is said to be the Ati Radeon 9600 Pro anyways. And you could get a 128MB version for $109 or even the Ultra model for $152.

Even Ati is making the new 9600 FX model and not planning on doing a 9700 model for obvious reasons. The 9600 is a great card, for less money. You still have your 8x AGP also in that card.

Think about it.

i have a radeon 9600Pro 128MB with 8xAGP and it works fine. i paid about $150 and none of my games skip at high resolutions with Max Quality. As for the radeon 9800pro well its a great card prob the best out there until radeon 9800xt comes out but if you're willin to pay $400 for it with no prob, GO FOR IT cause i would. It'll be worth every penny especially when HL2 comes out.

oops XT. That's what I mean. Not FX. I was just reading some info on the FX's so I got them all discombobulated.

Originally posted by Dlovely
I just plan on using it for gaming pretty much. I'm not a crazy gamer but it seems like the games sometime lag online and i don't know if its the connection or the card. I just don't know what difference I'd see in upgrading. I don't do any CAD drawing, the cards came from work where all the engineer geeks draw things. I would get the 9800 Pro if there was a difference worth getting it but I have no idea what FPS these CAD cards pump out.

your card should be fine for most games coming out soon or that are on the market... the fx1000 I mean..

I don't see a need for you to buy another card with that in your machine... :)

I'm currently only using the Quadro4 900 XGL which for some reason costs alot of money, much more than the 9800 Pro. Is it because they can rip people off since it's for engineering? I don't understand the diff. b/w that and a gaming video card in terms of performance. I can switch to the FX1000 if there is a difference.

Quadro FX 1000
Graphics Memory Bandwidth
128-bit
9.6GB/sec.

Is that slow?

Originally posted by Dlovely
Quadro FX 1000
Graphics Memory Bandwidth
128-bit
9.6GB/sec.

Is that slow?
that puts it right between the gf4 ti4400 and 4600.

you say your games are 'lagging' but you don't know if it's the connection or the card. it's not too hard to tell the difference. connection issues involve erratic movements or an unpredicatable halt here and there. hardware bottlenecks or more of a constant drop in frames per second (smoothness), especially during explosions or scenes with lots of effects going on (coronas, smoke, shaders, etc).

if you still aren't sure, do some benchmarks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back