Should I mod my 9700Pro?

S

stuy_b

Hi,

Well I've had my Radeon 9700 Pro for nearly a month now, and I love it dearly, but also wanna give it a long life.

Ive read many reviews including overclocking tips, and I might overclock BUT NOT TODAY, as its way fast enough as it is.

My real question is should I mod the 9700 with some TIN plated BGA ramsinks and a Crystal Orb or is there better cooling options?

I've touched the card after heavy use, and it does get hot, I can feel the heat being blown away by the default fan.

Hope you can give me some ideas.

Cheers

my 9700pro is modded...

on the metal clip on the reverse of the card... its supposed to be an extended wrap-around heatsink thinger :)

I have attached a nice copper thermaltake passive cooler on that..

and I have attached 8 bga ramsinks on each one of my exposed memory modules much like you are planning to do..

now remember the heat generated is not that much... I can oc my card out of the box to 380-ish / 365-ish straight up...

I took it past 400/380 after the ramsinks and passsive copper cooler were attached...

this card is highly oc'able though I don't need to do that..

I might bench it later but am happy for now...

as for the crystal orb? I dunno m8... the default cooler from ati is very good actually...

I have seen someone mod a 80mm fan... something like a slimmed donw volcano 9 onto his pcb... but that required drilling and stuff and it is heavy... :) you decide if you want to do that...

Cheers Sazar, you know the score :)

Im gonna leave my card unmodded I reckon, for now, maybe I'll get me some of those ramsinks, but as you say the default cooler is doing a damn fine job as it is.

Thanks again Sazar :)

What do you use to overclock the card? Powerstrip? I tried another app, and bingo, I saw unrendered polygons comming up all over even though I had just pushed it up by about 10 Mhz on the core speed and mem speed.

I used either rage3d or radeonator... both are equally good..

remember not all cards oc the same... some may not... others may scale ridiculously... it is not an art :) more trail and error and luck than anything else...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back