Should I install SP2 for Windows XP?

greggustin

OSNN Addict
well - I always hate to fix what AIN'T broke
I still use SP1
good or bad idea?

Thread title modified.

Service Pack 2 is what made Windows XP the OS that it is today. You should install SP2 and take advantage of what it has to offer (and the additional software now available for it: IE 7, WMP 11, etc.).

is there a 'rollback' option
or all the horror stories about the SP2 pack now obsolete?

all the "horror" stories as you put it were due to changes MS made that people wanted, which in turn did break things, but now its fine, i always say to install any os fresh so your best off getting an xp sp2 cd and doing a fresh install

all the "horror" stories as you put it were due to changes MS made that people wanted, which in turn did break things, but now its fine, i always say to install any os fresh so your best off getting an xp sp2 cd and doing a fresh install

how can I get one?
and can I use it for the following system(s):

2 of my systems are gateway
which came with embedded windows
I did not even get a win disc
just a restore disk
which can only be used to START OVER

As Windows is not my primary OS, I can assure you that if you do and or have a proper install of XP as I have done many times and installing SP2, I never had any issue, whatsoever. If you do a fresh install or just by updating you should be fine. SP3 is right around the corner, and from my experience having installed it on my XP laptop, it truly showed some kick.

just because something is not broken does not mean its not loaded with security holes. it would be wise to do so.

You should always run the latest service pack and all windows updates unless you have an exceptionally good reason not to. Very few people have good reasons not to.

If you install SP2 from Windows Update or by downloading, it can be removed. If you go to ADD/REMOVE programs you can remove it if you feel it's causing problems. It's solid, and you should be OK. Just make sure to defrag after you install it.

Also, I believe they stopped patching your system awhile back through WU as only SP2 machines received updates. So after you install it I would check for updates again.

If you have an OEM XP install, which you do, you can't use a regular XP disc. I would download the network install version of SP2, it is the full update around 260MB. Burn that to a disc and use it to update your PC's. Then if you needed to reinstall in the future, you can use your restore discs and have a copy of SP2 around to install instead of having to download it.

WHy not call the manufacturer and ask for an SP2 oem install cd or restore image?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back