Should I buy a P4 with DDR?

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
This is a post about Pentium 4 and AMD Athlon. Before reading this post, please, please don't flame here. I have seen in the past that these kind of serious posts eventually gets closed and members get banned, because of flaming. I don't want that to happen here, so spill your guts somewhere else.
For everyone else: Welcome to my post! Please feel free to read through this and give your opinion! :D

I am having a bit of a dilemma here. Early next year I want to buy a brand new system. My current computer is than 3 years old, and I find that a good age for a computer. I want to do exactly what I did three years ago, to buy a fast system, which could make me happy for many years to come!
Anyway, I am choosing between a Pentium 4 with 512 MB DDR333 memory or an AMD with the same kind of memory. I read at Toms Hardware an old article about Pentium 4 with DDR266 memory and it looked very promising. But the article is over a year old and new DDR memory has come to the market and I guess the stats have changed.
I think the systembus is an issue here. On a P4 system there is a bus speed of 533 MHz and DDR memory is 166/333 (DDR) MHz. So the P4 would waste 1/3 of it's time waiting for feed from the memory, right or not?
Athlon processors are on a systemspeed of 133/266 (DDR) MHz, while the memory is on 166/333 (DDR) MHz, so the memory would work at full speed, right or not?

After this long story I have one question:
What is faster/better?
* A P4 with 512 MB DDR333 memory on a Asus P4S533 board or;
* an AMD Athlon XP with 512 MB DDR333 memory on an Asus A7V333 board?
(CPU speeds are depending on how much money I can spent, preferably the fastest available)

You might think after reading this, 'Why don't you search the internet for articles?'. Well, that is because the internet is so big, I don't know what to trust. I could read benchmark results comparing P4 and AMD, but that isn't a reflection of real life experiences, in my opinion. So what I want to hear, what are YOUR experiences on this subject, what would YOU advise? I trust you guys/girls!

One more thing: I do work at a computerstore (well, we don't make them, we only sell them, Packard Bell, HP, Sky, that kind of stuff), but the avarage people that come in my store know nothing about computers, so there isn't much experience there.

My View :)

Hi,

Well my view would be

A P4 with 512 MB DDR333 memory on a Asus P4S533 board without question. It's vertually the same as i have now and its a great machine.

If you're going to buy a P4 the only way to get it to meet its potential is to mate it with RDRAM. Any P4 system even with DDR333 is gonna get smacked around by the new 1066 RDRAM that most top end P4 systems are coming with. You can save quite a lot of money by going with AMD and DDR, but a P4 will be crippled if you decide to use DDR with it.

Artex

Posted by Artex
If you're going to buy a P4 the only way to get it to meet its potential is to mate it with RDRAM. Any P4 system even with DDR333 is gonna get smacked around by the new 1066 RDRAM that most top end P4 systems are coming with. You can save quite a lot of money by going with AMD and DDR, but a P4 will be crippled if you decide to use DDR with it

Hmm, I checked an online shop in Holland and it seems that if I buy such a system (1066 RD-RAM, P4), it costs 1954 euro's! Only 300 euro's higher than my original price (P4 with DDR333). The prices are lowered a lot last month. A friend of mine bought a 1066 RD-RAM system a month ago (same specs as mine, 512 MB, P4 2,53 MHz but with a RAID-board; I don't have RAID) for 1500 euro's! Now it costs 1100 euro's! Oh, man. Looks like I will be 'switching' systems a lot 'till next year...

My AMD system is runnung perfect since I bought it. However, as you might know, AMD has problem lately with their speed race with Intel (although, speed doesn't equal to performance). Besides, look at techonolries that are put into the chip. Intel will put in Hyper Transport thingy, it has integrated heat spreader, low output wattage etc. While AMD' CPU is mainly still the same if you compare to the 1st generation.

Personally, i would try Intel P4 as I already have AMD.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back