Shortcuts (bad) stuck on desktop!

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Somehow I have fetched up with a couple of DivX shortcuts on my laptops desktop that have gone bad - if I look at properties for them everything is greyed out and I cannot even go to the location they are supposedly in - it looks like the All Users Desktop folder, but exploring there shows nothing.

Trying to delete them just results in a message that the disc they are on cannot be accessed. Desktop cleanup does not find them. Have run Regscrub and fixed all it could find... also Regedit and deleted all I could find with DivX on it.... also uninstalled Divx bundle...

The tgwo shortcuts are (or were!) for DivX Movies and DivX player...

ANYONE ANY IDEAS how to shift these (excuse caps!) ... if you do not get the picture as to what is up with them I'll post a screenie of their 0 byte properties too.... later.... (when I put screen capture s/w onto laptop!)

Hi there have you tried doing it through the command prompt?
Either that or log into the computer in safe mode as the administrator and go to the users files (with the iffy shortcuts) typically C:\Documnets and settings\{username}\desktop and delete them from there.

Save that you could try some of the repair functions of tweak ui

to date I have yet to find the iffy shortcuts ANYWHERE! This despite showing hidden files etc - th eonly place they show up is "physically" on the desktop - if I navigate to that folder there's nothing there....

[EDIT] Just did a search, foudn the shortcuts were elsewhere than where their properties said - and once I had found the blighters they deleted OK and were gone from desktop - looks like DivX doesn't uninstall cleanly at all though... I'll have to try to remember why I had it and decide whether to clean the mess up now - thanks anyway, problem solved [/EDIT]

hmmm ok tis is a weird onei have a couple of folders that i can't delete but they are not on the desktop and behave normally until you try to delete them.
Do these short cuts appear if you log on as a different user?

No problem, you could always try the k-lite codec packs that are posted on the main pages now and again, this contains all the codects for decoding and encoding you could ever think of and some more :) plus i have never had a problem from using them which is good :)

indyjones said:
hmmm ok tis is a weird onei have a couple of folders that i can't delete but they are not on the desktop and behave normally until you try to delete them.
Do these short cuts appear if you log on as a different user?

Indy,

If you can't get rid of some folders on your comp you could try deleting the contents of the folder(s) and then attempt to delete the empty folder(s) (assuming everything in the little buggers willingly marches their arses to the recycle bin). I've had some luck doing this in the past myself with a few stubborn folders I couldn't get rid of otherwise.

I also like to rename folders that contain baddies or problems. On re-boot they somehow get lost..........

Well empty these folders wont delete, but I can rename them so I just rename them to something useful and use them.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back