Shell32.dll in use how to overwrite?

G

Grfx Guru

Hi everyone,

This is driving me nuts, I know that I should know how to do this. But I've changed icons in shell32.dll and whatever I try I cannot over write the file as it complains about being in use, I've tried safemode and such like still no luck. Normally I'd just boot with a floppy and try overwriting it that way but it is on an ntfs partition and all my floppy boots don't see it.

My question, how do I overwrite the file or make it so the system ain't using it for me to overwrite it?

Many thanks, and I know it's a real no brainer of a question, but I don't know the answer :) apologies if it's the wrong forum.

XP system b.t.w

thanks!

That's weird, I was just encountering the same problem doing the same thing 5 minutes ago. Here's what I found that worked:

1. Make a copy of the original shell32.dll
2. Make your icon changes in the copy
3. Save the copy
4. In Safemode Rename shell32.dll to something else
5. Rename the copy to shell32.dll

I don't understand why it doesn't let you make changes to the file or delete it, but you can rename it... probably some added security they put in at the last minute... no clue.

Thanks brian0918, that did the trick. How strange, appreciate ya taking the time to help me.

speaking of icons,how can i change my 'show desktop' icon?

i changed it in both shell32.dll and explorer but the icon in the quick launch bar is still the same!

anybody remember the CMD prompt for empty the DLLcache?
it was something like purge cache..or something.

Re: Re: Shell32.dll in use how to overwrite?

Posted by brian0918 1. Make a copy of the original shell32.dll
2. Make your icon changes in the copy
3. Save the copy
4. In Safemode Rename shell32.dll to something else
5. Rename the copy to shell32.dll
Will this work>
Change the name of the already hacked shell32.dll. Then do step 4 & 5?

Hipster, it worked for me. I just renamed it then copied over a new shell32.dll and rebooted. After a quick refresh of the cache everything looked rather cool :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back