Sharing Win XP Printer with Win 95

U

ukexpat

I have a home network based around a Linksys 8 port router/hub. Main machine runs Win XP Pro. I want to share the Win XP box's printer with a Win 95 laptop.

Printer is set up as shared on Win XP box, but I cannot find it on the laptop when it is attached to the network. Any ideas?

TIA.

On the xp machine make the printers share name the ip address of the the machine. So it would look like

\\xpmachine\192,168.0.1

I have done this because I had the same problem, it works, just don't ask me why. :D

Thanks for the tip -- unfortunately when I try to use that form as the share name on the XP box, I get an error message that the name cannot contain / \ or . etc

make sure the machine name, and share names have no spaces, and aren't larger than 8 characters. 98 boxes can't seem to seem them, but XP and 2k machines can

It worked!!

That did it -- thanks so much. I still cannot browse to the printer but entering the path by name (having changed the share name to less than 8 characters in length on the Win XP box) worked like a charm.

The sooner I get rid of this Win 95 box the better!!

Whoops I didn't explain that very well

When you share your printer it will automaticaly give it a share name, mine comes up as "Epson Stylus Colour 880"

Just call it 192,168.0.1 or whatever the ip address of the machine, the slashes will show up by themselves :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back