Sharing over a network, with Password Protection

pachelbel101

OSNN Newbie
Morning everyone. I sure hope someone can help me, because I've been at this for hours and hours with no success!

I am a college student living in a dorm room, and my workgroup contains all the computers in my residence hall (around 150 computers). What I would like to do is network 2 computers together within my residence hall (mine and someone else's) without all the other people in my building having access to our computers. When I try clicking on other students' computers in the workgroup, it asks for a username and password - this would be just perfect. How can I require a username and password, to access our two computers?

A bit of background: both of our computers are running XP Pro, and I don't log into windows when I boot up my computer (I was thinking that perhaps having to log in to my windows with a password would fix my problem, but I don't know).

By the way, I normally think of myself as rather well-versed in computer lingo, but it would appear that everyone here is a networking pro, and they say all kinds of things that I don't understand. So, in your response, could you be rather specific (ex. step by step instructions, easy to understand language, etc). Thank you very much for your help.

Welcome to OSNN, pachelbel101 :)

I would have outlined the process for you, but it's getting late, and a quick Google search turned up this step-by-step tutorial:
http://resnet.ups.edu/shares.shtml

Go through it, and if you have any questions or problems, let us know and we'll help you out.

Thanks for replying NetRyder. However, that does not seem to do the trick. That seems to not even show my computer to those that I haven't listed in the permissions (which might be alright), but it does not work. Whatever permissions I put in, that person still doesn't have access (I just selected the Computer name of the computer I want to allow access for, and the entity on that computer - I tried the username of the person, and then just Users, for anyone on that computer).

In any event, this seems to not work, and it also does not do what I want it to do - what I want is for anyone to be able to see me on the network, but to get access to shared files, you are prompted with a username and password dialog. That's what I need, and I have seen other computers on my network with this setup (they, however, seem to be oblivious to this, not knowing how they got that - so they are of no help!). If anyone knows how to require a username and password from others on your network, rather than specifically set what computer can connect to yours, I would very much appreciate hearing your input. Thanks a bunch!

Add his username and pass that he uses onto his computer onto yours, then use Authenticated User groups on the shares only. Do the same on his comouter with your username and password.

Thanks Michael. How would I go about doing that? I thought I knew how to do what you're talking about, however as far as I can tell, with the method I was thinking of, there is no way to set a password value, so it must be a different way. Would you mind enlightening me on how I would go about executing your suggestion? Thanks.

Ok, you've enable file sharing by following those instructions but you haven't specified what you want to share, correct?

Open Windows Explorer (Start button --> Accessories --> Windows Explorer)

It should be displaying everything you have on your computer. From here you can specify what exactly you wish to share with everyone with permission. XP has a shared folder already created for you at the bottom of the list. I usually ignore this or turn it off because I'm the only one using my computer. With the permissions that you've set up there should be a little hand cupping this folder. If there isn't then you need to Right click on the folder and select Properties. Click on the Sharing tab in the properties window. I can't remember verbatum of what is said, but it says something like "Just share...." or "Just enable sharing for this folder...." something like that. Make sure you select the check box that tells what you are sharing this folder as. You can even change the name of it if you want to.

pachelbel101 said:
Thanks Michael. How would I go about doing that? I thought I knew how to do what you're talking about, however as far as I can tell, with the method I was thinking of, there is no way to set a password value, so it must be a different way. Would you mind enlightening me on how I would go about executing your suggestion? Thanks.

Goto the User Accounts in Control Panel, add your friends Username and have him use enter his password. You can make him a limited user if you dont want his as an admin. Do the same on his with you username and pass. Now when you try to connect to each other it wont ask for a username and pass BUT if someone else tries it will. You also have to disable simple file sharing to get the permissions, which I think you already did.

Interesting Michael. So if I have a username and password set to log into windows (rather than Windows just automatically coming up on startup) then when someone on the network tries to connect to my computer, it will ask them for that username and password, but if there is no Windows login username and password, and windows just pops right up, then a network user connecting to my computer won't get a username and password prompt, and will just be granted access to my computer? If that's the case, then that's exactly what I want, and not at all very difficult.

just a quick thought...might not help at all, but what about just changing the workgroup name of the 2 computers you wish to network together?...meaning, that if the common workgroup for the dorm is "MSHOME", and u change your network name to privatenetwork (it can be whatever u want) then none of the computers on MSHOME will see your cpu at all because they aren't looking for that workgroup.

pachelbel101 said:
Interesting Michael. So if I have a username and password set to log into windows (rather than Windows just automatically coming up on startup) then when someone on the network tries to connect to my computer, it will ask them for that username and password, but if there is no Windows login username and password, and windows just pops right up, then a network user connecting to my computer won't get a username and password prompt, and will just be granted access to my computer? If that's the case, then that's exactly what I want, and not at all very difficult.

Basically when you friend tries to connect it will sned his username amd pass that he's logged into with on his computer, and since you have created the same user on you machine it will allow access. If someone else tries to connect with a different account thats not on you system it will prompt fpr a username and password (they would have to either enter your account of his) to gain access.

ApparitionX said:
just a quick thought...might not help at all, but what about just changing the workgroup name of the 2 computers you wish to network together?...meaning, that if the common workgroup for the dorm is "MSHOME", and u change your network name to privatenetwork (it can be whatever u want) then none of the computers on MSHOME will see your cpu at all because they aren't looking for that workgroup.

I think XP Pro can browse other workgroups other then the one set, setting up the security is the best way to block unwanted visitors.

I know its not a particularly high level of security but it is possible to set passwords on individual shared folders, it should be in the sharing and security tab. perhaps not a total solution but could be used as a temp fix until you get permissions working.

And you can very easily view other workgroups on a network I think its the view entire network link that will bring this up.

Admiral Michael said:
I think XP Pro can browse other workgroups other then the one set

wouldn't they have to know the name of the workgroup?

Admiral Michael said:
setting up the security is the best way to block unwanted visitors.

Absolutely, 100% agreed, I was just tryin to think of a quick/easy alternative route to take.

:)

pachelbel101 said:
I think Michael's last post is just what I was looking for!
:up:

ApparitionX said:
wouldn't they have to know the name of the workgroup?

No unfortunately, like ozzy_james mentioned, and it is true:

ozzy_james said:
And you can very easily view other workgroups on a network I think its the view entire network link that will bring this up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back