Sharing one connection

M

Mr. Sushi

i saw my friend do this and i wanna do it too. i have a netgear router for my two comps. and i want them both to share my one 56k connection. the old one is on windows 95 and the new one is xp home. how can i get them to share the conention like my friend?

Either read the instructions that came with the netgear router or check their websitte for more info. If the Router was meant to be used for the internet it will have instructions.

it's really confusing. does anyone have exp with netgear?

Just a guess ....
Most of these usits are set up via the web browser - set your IP settings to DHCP and set everything to auto (server assigned).
go into the command prompt : Start-run-cmd
type in ipconfig /renew and you should get new IP settings - normally look like:
IP 192.168.1.---
Sub 255.255.255.0

You can then enter the IP of the router into web brouser:
normally http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 (it should tell u that in the manual).

From there you should be able to configure the router to use your account settings for the ISP you are using.

Once settings are complete - the workstations should work by setting them all to DHCP.

one guy said windows 95 cant talk to XP. is that true?

Windows 95 has no problem seing windows XP shares as long as you log on to it with a valid users account - that is the same user as one that has been set up in XP.
This also applies to Win98/ Me / Win2K/ other XP boxes.

for the XP box to see the Win95 machine - make sure u have the File and Print sharing for microsoft added in the Network options and that you have a folder or drive shared.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back