Sharing on a LAN....

N

neo090282

Well i'm trying to share some folders on my network at uni and cant for the life of me work out the best way of doing it.

As far as i'm aware there are two ways:

1. Drag the shared folders to the shared directory(Not what i want to do)

2.(I cant work out how to do this) Share them just by clicking the option when you right-click and share. Except the option is not available. I know this works cos I've checked on my friends comp.

Ta'

to share a folder just right click it select propeties and click the sharing tab.

Yea, I can do that....but the share options are all un-selectable

?????

disable simple filesharing, then the options will be available

U cannot share the Documents and Settings, Program files and windows system folders..... try choose a file and then share it.....
see whether it works or not

check to be sure that you are on a workgroup or a domain

I'm definately on a workgroup because I can access other computers and network drives etc.

I have only been trying to share folders with media and such in.

So I think I really need to just find the options for the LAN security or something? I've trawled for hours??

Thanks

Just on my C: drive, not in my documents and settings or anything.

??

Its not clear from your jpg what folder you're trying to share, but it might simply be that you need to enable sharing in your Network Properties.

Instructions for XP - which I think you have: -

Control Panel/Network Connections. Right Click on your Local Area Network icon & select Properties. Click on the General tab.

Do you have File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed & is there a tick in the box? The answer should be Yes to both!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back