F

Franky

Hi

is this setup possible ?

1st pc 2 nic internet connection and scharing it with pc 2

2nd pc 2 nic getting the internet off pc1 and sharing it with pc 3

3th pc 1 nic getting internet off pc2 ?

OR

1pc 3 nic's internet connection and scharing it with pc 2 and 3 ??

So actually letting 3 pc's profit out of the 1 internet connection without a hub ?

Greetz Franky

um can we go for option 3 and just buy a hub or router and share em all from there :)

I always like to recomend Broadband routers. Linksys, D-Link, SMC, and others make good ones. Buy one with a built in switch and plug them all into that.

JJB6486

But if you have the NICs, and you can configure some sort of firewall, you can just go for a $20 hub to share the connection locally. To answer your question though, yes you can either daisy chain the connection or stick three NICs in one box and have it run fine, albeit a bit slowly on the first machine.
/L.A

another advantage of routers is had each PC can access the Internet independently, i.e, the machines do not depend on 1 PC for Internet access.

With multiple NICs stuffed in 1 PC, that PC has to be up for the others to link to the Internet, not so nice late at night if the PCs are in different rooms.

Hey

So it can be thone ?

Can I do this with miscrosoft's software to share a connection or di I have to get sygate or something ?

Greetings Franky

The optimal configuration for you would be to have two NICs in the computer actually connected to the internet. One to the cable/DSL and the other to a hub, with your two other machines connected to the hub. If that's not to your liking, I would suggest you go with the three-NIC setup. One of the drawbacks to that is you will have to use cross-over cables instead of regular ethernet cables.

You could do it the first way you mentioned, where you sort of "daisy-chain" your internet connection, but that would require you to set up internet connection sharing on both the first and second computers in that sequence, which would just slow things down.
/L.A

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back