Sharing Files and folders please helppppp

Gary Pandher

OSNN Senior Addict
Why does it not let me make this or any of the other folders private? so that other people on the compter with other user accounts with limited access can not see these files?

Originally posted by desimatrix007
Why does it not let me make this or any of the other folders private? so that other people on the compter with other user accounts with limited access can not see these files?

Are you running a NTFS file system?

i think it is ntfs
i dont really remember was so long ago but i think it is :(

Look under my computer, c: dive, right click properties. it will tell you the format. if you are on ntfs, does your profile have administrative rights?

:confused: :huh: :confused: :huh: fat 32 :mad:
theres a way i can convert it to ntfs without partitioning and reformatting right?...or no:(

Start>Run>cmd

Type:
convert C: /FS:NTFS

That's it ... make sure you back up your data just in case.

If you attempt to convert the partition from which the operating system is running. It is not possible to convert the boot partition while the operating system is running. To convert the boot partition, it will always be necessary to issue the CONVERT command, answer Yes to the prompt, and then restart the computer. The partition will be converted the next time the computer is restarted. As an alternative, it is possible to boot the computer to an installation of Windows on a different partition and convert the partition from that installation of Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q214579

microsoft site says that...
i only have one partition...and that has the os on it...and only one drive...will it still work?

also if i convert i wont lose data right?
there is a chance but most likely i wont???

Yes, when you type CONVERT, you will be asked to reboot ... and the conversion will begin.

And no, all your data should remain intact. The backup is just in case.

also if i convert i wont lose data right?
there is a chance but most likely i wont???

I converted from fat32 to ntfs, no problem. backup just to be sure. you will be asked to reboot (I think) and it should not take too long (a few minutes).

Good luck, and let us know how it went (ie: if you can lock the folders).

Cheers, EJ :cool:

mmmmmmmmm k thanks guys
it let me make it private
now to c if the other users can still see my files or not..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back