Sharing DSL/Cable conection through a Dial-UP

A

agentnumberone

OK here's the prob...I recently promised my boss I was going to be able to share files and internet access through remote access (dial-up) but I guess I was only half right. I am able to share files but not the DSL connection here at work. I kept reading throught the XP help and found the problem. I guess MS doesn't want to let internet sharing go through remote access. Can anyone help me through this prob?

My Network set up

DSL Modem connects to wireless router/hub...links computers and shares internet access. .....one computer has remote dial-up access(host) that wont share its internet access w/ dial-up computer (clients).
The host is running XP pro
and clients XP home...

Is ICS turned on on the host? I'm not sure if you must have it on, but it should improve things at least.

ICS shares only through LAN connections with nic cards or wireless. It doesn't allow sharing with dial-up connection of remote access. Need to know what type of settings, software, hardware or tweaks are out there to go around this. THe cheaper the better.

No that's not true! ICS does work for dial-up connections. I should know, I use one. If it works for dial-in I cannot swear to, but it's not unlikely.
Hmm btw... ICS probably won't work in this case though since the it probably can't see the dial-in as an internal interface*. If it can, you should turn on ICS on the NIC (not the dial-in).

You can't bridge the traffic between the dial-in and the NIC by any chance? (Or is bridging only for NIC:s?)

* In this case the internal interface (LAN side) is the dial-in and the external interface (Internet side) is the NIC, right?

Sorry I can't give you any advice on 3rd party routers. Non of the ones I've tried work in XP. They all work in 98/2k though. Does anyone else know? (I want one, ICS is soooo sloooow)

No one has some sort of winproxy or server software that will be able to let in comming calls connect to the internet here at work?

Guess not. If you have the time you can go to tucows or download.com and try some out one by one. "It's a drity job, but somebody's got to do it."

Short question: Where does the dial-in computer get it's IP? From the common DHCP-server on the LAN or what?

Ya I am currently looking through Download.com but not coming up with anything really. As far as where it gets its internet access its getting it from a linksys wireless hub/router DSL. I have a DSL connections which the router shares with the network. I don't know if that's considered a DHCP or a LAN. I know it leases out IP addresses and the computer are set to assigned IP's automatically.

I managed to set up net sharing on my ADSL (UK) but i had a related problem where as i cannot send files from any of the other computers on my LAN as the computers im trying to send to cannot connect to me unless i am sending from the PC with the modem physically plugged into it. i have not yet been able to fix this i have tried everything even opening every port etc

any help would be gratefully recieved

Originally posted by markjrey
I managed to set up net sharing on my ADSL (UK) but i had a related problem where as i cannot send files from any of the other computers on my LAN as the computers im trying to send to cannot connect to me unless i am sending from the PC with the modem physically plugged into it. i have not yet been able to fix this i have tried everything even opening every port etc

any help would be gratefully recieved
See http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7180

Originally posted by agentnumberone
I don't know if that's considered a DHCP or a LAN. I know it leases out IP addresses and the computer are set to assigned IP's automatically.
The LAN (Local Area Network) is the acctual physical network. DHCP is a protocol you use when you want to assign IP:s automatically. So in your case you are using DHCP on a LAN. The question was:
1. Do you know that the dial-in get it's IP from the router. Is it the same IP range as the others?
2. What does the dial-in have as "Default Gateway" (run "ipconfig" in the console)?
3. Can you ping the router from the dial-in computer?

I talk to some guys at CDW it looks like am just going to have to buy a server some software and stuff like that. This is going to get expensive, (was trying to avoid that). Oh well not my money.

Thanks for everyone's imput.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back