Sharing ADSL via router/switch problem

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Hi,
I've got a problem similar to the one outlined here. However, the issue with mine is that I cannot log into my router to disable DCHP.
I have just had my broadband activated, and the USB ADSL modem that came free (I think it's a speedtouch 330) has assigned me an IP address of 192.168.0.1.
Problem is, that used to be the IP address of my Belkin cable router which I intend to now use as a switch.
So how can I find the IP address of my router, in order to disable DCHP? Also, I'm a bit confused about this, how has my USB ADSL modem assigned me 192.168.0.1 if my router was doing that?

Help please! I'm going mad!
Rep points available :):)

Modem cant assign that IP address only the WAN address from your ISP.

START - RUN - cmd.exe

In the command box type: 'ipconfig /all' (without the quotes)
Press ENTER.

All your network info should be in there.

Could avoid the whole situation and give you systems static ip addresses?
Another option would be to reset the router which would give the router an out-of-the-box IP address (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)

Electronic Punk said:
Could avoid the whole situation and give you systems static ip addresses?
Could you give me some more info on this? Do I just assign an IP to all the computers on the network?

The speedtouch modems often hav built in routers of some kind which do give out private IPs. The modem/router usually sits on 192.168.0.254 if I remember it right. That's why it can give out 192.168.0.1.

The solution is to set you computer on static IP for a while. Set the IP to 192.168.0.2 or something, netmask to 255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.0.254 (if that is indeed the ip of the modem, ipconfig will tell you).
Then configure the old router and turn off DHCP and so on. Now you can acctually leave it like this if you want to. The router can sit on 192.168.0.1, it doesn't really matter.

Ok, thanks so far guys. However, I can't find the IP address of my old router. I ran ipconfig /all and I've attached a screengrab of what I got.
I've managed to get ICS going ok with the dial-up, but now that I'm on ADSL, my bro's PC won't use the "speedway 330" connection to access the net. Any clues?

Attachments

• cmd.jpg
    cmd.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 191
ray_gillespie said:
Ok, thanks so far guys. However, I can't find the IP address of my old router. I ran ipconfig /all and I've attached a screengrab of what I got.
I've managed to get ICS going ok with the dial-up, but now that I'm on ADSL, my bro's PC won't use the "speedway 330" connection to access the net. Any clues?

you've assigned yourself the ip address of 192.168.0.1 which you say is the ip of the router. Enable DHCP.
Cant the cable from the other PC connect direct to your computer? You will need a crossover cable to do this.

No, sadly I need to use the router as a switch cos my dad's pc will soon be joining the others.
What exactly does DCHP do, and what should do it?

ray_gillespie said:
No, sadly I need to use the router as a switch cos my dad's pc will soon be joining the others.
What exactly does DCHP do, and what should do it?

Enabling DHCP will allow the router to assign the PC an IP address so you will not get any conflict with any other user or the Router

Change it in:

control panel - Network Connections

From that screengrab in the earlier post, what is the IP of my router?

ray_gillespie said:
From that screengrab in the earlier post, what is the IP of my router?

i have no idea. You need to enable the DHCP first.

It might be worth you getting a ethernet modem rather than a USB one. Then the router can fuction as it should do. No need for ICS and no need for you comp to be on while the others have access to the net.
Something like:
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DSL-300T

Right, it's working!! I didn't actually change anything, but I think Zonealarm was kicking up a fuss, so I reconfigured it for the network and it worked fine! Thanks to everyone for the help anyway, reps are on their way! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back