Sharing a CAT 5 socket

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
Is there a way to share a Cat 5 ethernet socket at work. The main hub box in my office has gone bust and has been replaced with asingle connection. Is there a splitter i can use, i have seen port doublers on the net but unsure if i require 2 and how it actually works.

Based on your environment you probably can use a hub or a switch to turn one port into a multi-honed connection area.

Seems like it would work - based on the product description you would need two. One for the wall and one for the patch panel.

you'd only need one port doubler. I'd recommend replacing the switch as soon as realistically possible though.

from the description:

Port Doublers must be used in pairs by connecting one to the patch panel and the other to the wall outlet.

looking at the wiring diagram I'd say not - you only need 2 pairs for 10/100 ethernet. You'd never get 1000mbit out of a doubled port since gigabit needs all 8.

Mainframeguy and myself have used a single double in the past successfully as well.

Call your Helpdesk and open a medium ticket. It's an infrastructure job to deal with that ****e. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back