shared files protocol?

350z4life

OSNN Junior Addict
does anyone know what kind of protocol or systems Windows uses for sharing files on a network? Is it a type of broadcast to all workgroup computers? And how does Windows know if it is a workgroup or not. I've tried to google and wiki this but not too much info out there. Of course, I know it has been figured out, take SAMBA for instance.

Also, does a router/switch/hub have to support Windows shared files (therefore having to understand the protocol(or whatever) shared files use?

350z4life said:
does anyone know what kind of protocol or systems Windows uses for sharing files on a network? Is it a type of broadcast to all workgroup computers? And how does Windows know if it is a workgroup or not. I've tried to google and wiki this but not too much info out there. Of course, I know it has been figured out, take SAMBA for instance.

Also, does a router/switch/hub have to support Windows shared files (therefore having to understand the protocol(or whatever) shared files use?

tcp/ip would be the protocol windows uses. Or so i believe. The router will support 802.3 and 802.3u (Ethernet and Fast Ethernet) which will allow the "communicating" of the PCs. It gets confusing on how it all actually works as far as what tcp/ip does, but to answer your Q: Any rotuer/switch that you buy now a days ie: netgear, linksys, belkin, etc will all work with windows and windows tcp/ip. If you want to learn the basics of how it all works, look up the OSI Layers. There are 7 of them. That info should point out how a network will actually work.

Last edited:
3 little letters for you..

SMB

(Technically, now named CIFS but I will always know it as SMB)

edit:
A switch or router should not have any problems with SMB traffic so long as the router and/or switch are not doing any port blocking (port 139 if I remember correctly is what most of the traffic goes over)

want to monitor my shared files activity, found some software that would do so

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back