• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Shared DSL Question

I currently have a shared DSL connection using my Alienware as a gateway with a USB modem connnected to it. All computers on the network have to run through my computer to connect to the Internet. Is there any modem I could buy that would not require my computer to be on for other computers to connect?

You would need a router, and the set up would look like this:

Some commonly recommended manufacturers to look into: Linksys, D-Link, Netgear.
Thread Moved: Applications-->Networking

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
You would probably also be better off getting an ethernet DSL modem as USB isn't good for networking connection, and finding a router with a USB WAN port would be a challenge.

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
Not sure, never looked, but assuming that since they aren't common [to me], my guess is they are more expensive and money would be better spent on getting the right hardware instead of forcing the USB.

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political User
You can get ethernet to usb adapters, which i'm told are pretty lame.
I would also recommend getting a router/modem in one, just to cut down on the number of boxes and cabling

iamtaylormade

One Step from The Edge
Before selecting either one, consider your bandwidth requirements. USB1.1 is obviously much slower than that of USB2. It doesn't matter what your comps USB is rated at, what does matter is the rating of your router/switch/hub or whatever device you may have in your network. The slowest link in the network will most likely be the common denominator, therefore you may want to consider the ether connection (100Mb). If you really need some high end throughput, consider a gigabit router/switch but I would recommend staying away from the USB variety unless the manufacturer specifically states that the USB throughput is USB2.
Just something to think about.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbieherrin