share internet connection to 5 pc using 4-ports router & a 8-ports hub?

I understand what Zedric is saying as I am currently working with a school network that is using NAT.

See, with SOHO networks, NAT is a beautiful thing. In a large network (big business), NAT can be a mistake. For one, NAT works by switching IP addresses from Local to Public as packets get out to them. This can become a problem because a lot of software used in big businesses do not contain a NAT translator. They simply send out on the line and the router does the rest. ADP software, which is used by most businesses to handle payroll, can not establish a direct connection to the system because the software will only respond to requests at the local address and not the public (this is due to security). You have to have a good understanding on how NAT operates to better understand what goes on.

Most large networks work better with a firewall and public IP's per workstation rather than NAT. While newer protocols such as UPnP and NetBEUI allow for better translation over NAT, the downfalls to it can cause other issues.

Originally posted by Reg

Most large networks work better with a firewall and public IP's per workstation rather than NAT. While newer protocols such as UPnP and NetBEUI allow for better translation over NAT, the downfalls to it can cause other issues.

Are you sure you understand NAT ansd routing? NetBEUI in a non-routable protocal and is IP-less.

Like I said with a quality router you can still use NAT with a block of IP's. For example, my company owns a C class block of IP's. We host many sites as well as other servers that need access to the outside world. We use NAT. The router will translate the Visible IP to the internal IP. For example:

65.*.*.12 translates to 10.101.16.12
65.*.*.15 translates to 10.101.16.15
65.*.*.121 translates to 10.101.16.121

As far as the outside worl is considered they are accessing the internal server directly.

Of course I understand NetBEUI. When I mentioned NetBEUI, I was referring to using those protocols to communicate with servers, switches, and routers, not routing information. See, with protocols like UPnP and NetBEUI (which are in fact non-routable), devices can communicate better with devices such as routers and servers. Most SOHO based routers are coming with UPnP so that users behind NAT can work with the router to better translate IP information. While no commercial router uses UPnP or NetBEUI for communication, people like Cisco are considering to include them for corporations who use NAT for better translation.

Originally posted by open_source
Like I said with a quality router you can still use NAT with a block of IP's. For example, my company owns a C class block of IP's. We host many sites as well as other servers that need access to the outside world. We use NAT. The router will translate the Visible IP to the internal IP. For example:

65.*.*.12 translates to 10.101.16.12
65.*.*.15 translates to 10.101.16.15
65.*.*.121 translates to 10.101.16.121

As far as the outside worl is considered they are accessing the internal server directly.
That really counteracts the whole idea with NAT, doesn't it? I guess you use the NAT as a firewall? Limiting the amount of ports open on each IP? Well I suppose you can do it that way too...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back