Share in my misery... SATA controller bad.

For the Second time in the last two months my PC has suffered extreme lockups. And boot failures. I have tracked it back to my onboard SATA controller and aparently doing a switch between the 4 onboard channels with my two raptors has stemed of the problem completley. But As tonights incident has shown me that it does indeed come back.

Whats odd is im 100 percent funcinal right now. That switching channles (just moving the SATA cable over has fixed the issue again.

Now here is the real misery. Lucky for me the board is indeed under warranty.

but i have to take everything out.. Including the ZALMAN cpu cooler. Sigh..

Join in my misery if you hate hardware failures. hehe

im not sure what i was smoking but can someone please move this thread to windows hardware. sorry.

might you consider getting off board controller to reduce the misery and salvage a dying mobo? Just a thhought - mine is onboard too (Neo2) - I guess your board is slightly older? Mine is I am guessing approaching it's second birthday this coming October....

Bleh... Nothing like the component going being one on the motherboard itself... Still, you have an Asus A8N according to your sig, which seems a relatively recent board. How long have you had it? You might want to see if you can get that bugger RMA'd

yah its under warranty still, Newegg is sending me a new one. Just very frustrating the whole proccess is gona take me 10 hours with my memory tweaks needing to be re memtested. sigh.

Last edited:
Thread moved to General Hardware.

man still running with this. Has had no more issues.. Im tempted to just go with it until it breaks..

Believe me Venom, I know how you feel. I've been battling issues of my own with my work computer. It's quite annoying and time consuming.

Luckily for me (since the computer crashed again over the weekend) Dell is sending out a technician to replace all major hardware and throwing in a second drive so I can setup a RAID 1.

Ahh warantees, not worth the paper they are written on.

I gave up on top quality brands 5 MB's ago. They failed just as often and cost twice as much. I started buying junk MB's (ECS, Chaintek) and have not had one fail yet.

I still get the urge to buy a Asus or MSI occasioonally but then I remind myself of why I went to the junkers.

You guys must be horribly unlucky.... I have built several systems either for myself, family or a friends and have yet to have a catastrophic problem. I buy nice quality stuff to, I personally feel you get what you pay for. But that sucks Venom... hopefully you get it all worked out.

i havent had any issues with this anymore.. im think im gona ignore it then.... of course it will break right after warranty goes out on the mobo..

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back