share folder

q12368c

OSNN Addict
I can connect to c:\ from other PC, but I can't change directory to c:\Program Files, C:\Windows.
How I can share the folder of Program File, Windows directories?

Last edited:
It depends on how you are connecting.

If you map to the C:\ - are you saying you can't change directories?

Who setup your access to that drive?

I can change to the c:\ but i can't change to 'program files' and 'windows' directory

How are you trying to view it though? I'm a bit confused by your statements....

When you try to change to those directories, do you get errors?

Are you using Windows Explorer or did you try to map a drive?

All drives have a private share.

You can get to them by going to \\computername\C$

You can get to the Program Files directory by going to \\computername\C$\Program Files

You can get to the WINDOWS directory by going to \\computername\C$\WINDOWS

^^^Those would also assume he has administrative access to the PC, which may not be the case.

As far as I know, non-local admins can't access those shares.

That is true, but I wouldn't want non-administrators accessing those folders anyway (for obvious reasons).

I think I have not enough right to change to these 2 folder,but I am currently login as administrator.

how to do it?

I still would like more information - how exactly are you trying to pull these folders up, and what error message(s) do you get when trying, if any?

I would also tend to ask WHY anyone - even possibly network admins - would require access to THESE particular folders from remote location - I could even go so far as to call on the guidelines maybe (though that is going a bit far!)

There are legitimate reasons - such as doing file maintenance and deleting folders that are no longer needed. These possibilities could be some of the $NThotfix$ folders, which reside in C:\WINDOWS or the Temp, Prefetch, etc.

Program Files has a folder in it called InstallShiled Installation Information which I like to keep clean as well :)

There are legitimate reasons - such as doing file maintenance and deleting folders that are no longer needed. These possibilities could be some of the $NThotfix$ folders, which reside in C:\WINDOWS or the Temp, Prefetch, etc.

Program Files has a folder in it called InstallShiled Installation Information which I like to keep clean as well :)

I don't agree with your signature but good call. Not to mention getting to files/folders that aren't currently shared out because they might pose a risk or open up your machine to sensitive information. I constantly use the good ol' \\cobalt\d$\ to get to folders I don't have shared at LANs.

Why I can't access 'Program File' folder

My two PC is XP Pro, both login as Administrator, all the drive can access except 'Program File' 'windows'. also all the drive which have this two directory is shared...

Re: Why I can't access 'Program File' folder

My two PC is XP Pro, both login as Administrator, all the drive can access except 'Program File' 'windows'. also all the drive which have this two directory is shared...
What?

Re: Why I can't access 'Program File' folder

I know what he means - and there is a thread on this recently where Dereck has the answer (doesn't he always!)

Weird thing is - the thread is started by the same poster!

Anyway - here is that thread....

thread merged

please don't start another thread for the same question.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back