share a printer?

D

da rock

i.ve got 2 pc's using the same dsl connn using a cisco 678 router
and a linkskey 5 port switch.i want to share a printer between the two ,but can't seem to get to work. tried the network setup
wiz and about everything else i could think of. how can i set this up? when i tried the setup wiz i couldn't get the two pc's to see each other or anything. just want to share the one printer between the pc's. :(

thanks in advance!

Alright Im not sure how your setup is but here is mine. Im using XP Pro and file and print sharing are enabled in N.N. If your using the parralel port[<which is my setup] or your hub your other PC should have seen the printer when you installed it through the network. If not you should check your network settings again in N.N and run the home network wizard. Also make sure your printer is the default and check to see if its shared by right clicking and sharing it.

my dsl is connected to the cisco 678 router supplied by my isp,
its conn to the linkskey switch thru port1, pc1 is conn to port4,pc2
is conn to port 3,both pc's can conn to the internet no prob. ran
the network setup wiz,when i veiw other comp on the network
i can see pc2,but pc 2 can't see pc1,the printer is conn to pc2,share this printer is enabled. when i try to view the printer on pc2 from pc1 it doesn't see it. i'm now thourghly confused!
can anyone help me out? :(

i.ve given up on what should be a simple thing ,will just hook up
another printer.

I don't know, but I think I missed the printer model...

I do know that the HP 710 and 712 series will NOT network share
most of the other HP products do, but for some reason sharing a HP710 and 712 network sharing is not supported. (according to HP)

Do you have file and printer enabled?
Is the printer shared out under its properties?
Assuming it's setup, what kind of error are you getting?

well i hate to sound stupid,but where do i find files and printer
sharing? the printer is a hp 845c. whenxp searchs for a printer on the network it shows home then it asks me to name the printer,when i do it says that the name or path are wrong,or something to that effect. what do you mean about shared out under its prop? like i said i hate to sound so dumb, but this is the 1st time i've tried this!

again,thanks in advance!:cool:

Ok, I had this problem, but with a 98 machine, It couldn't see the shared printer.

What I had to do was, when you share the printer it will suggest a name (IE HP 970) delete this and put the IP address of the machine the printer is connected to (IE 192.168.0.1)

Please don't feel dumb!!!!!! We all have to start somewhere!:D

That's why we are all here to learn and share knowledge.

BTW ....I'm still trying to get my Office Jet T45 to print from my XP Pro. Haven't got that one figured out yet. It sees it but won't print.

OH well..........:rolleyes:

You have file and print sharing enabled, which is the first step.

Next, on the computer where the printer is installed, you need to go to control panel >> printers >> right click on the printer and select "properties."

Then click the "sharing" tab and make sure it's shared out and has a name assigned. It should now show up on the network and as long as the user has the right permissions to use it, they can install it.

If you have problems viewing it from the network through the remote computer, then you have a network issue. So far I'm assuming that your just having trouble setting it up?

first things first,thanks to everyone who responded to my problem, it's nice to know where you can get help when you need it! however , the pc that the printer is installed on crashed(mobo
died!) so now i am waiting on a replacement,once i get it up and running again i'll start my quest for shared printer heaven once more!

again,my thanks to all!:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back