Severe problems with XP crash-athon....PLEASE HELP!!

N

neo090282

Right I will try and explain this as best i can, ask more questions if you need to.............anyone with ay ideas please share them.........

Well.....it has gotten to the point where my XP crashes roughly 50% of the time when i restart or after a shutdown. It seems to loose some start up files and the same ones all the time...

Before it gets to the splash screen of XP loading and everything it stops and says c:\windows\system32\ file missing or whatever.

It is usually ntrsk.exe (not sure thats the right name) and lst night it was "hal.dll". But is so starnge it happends so often, I think others too!

I have XP on a 6gig NTFS that has been repeatedly checked and another 80gig NTFS for games and files etc. checked also.

I have scanned for viruses repeatedly with pc-cillin, came with computer and have updated this and nothing has been found.

I am really at a loss, I have got hold of memtest3? or something and from what i can see it has found no errors??

If i could find so diagnostic software or something, I dont know, but it is really getting beyond a joke. The PC was only concieved in February!!!

Please anyone?!?!?!?:confused:

hmm sounds like missing sytsemfiles. get your xp cd and run this command sfc /scannow. it will check for the systemsfiles and replace damaged or missing files. else i think this is a good time for a format...

"Tagline?"

Hey a reply...well I have done that numrous times, but what i really want to do is stop it happening.

It happens near enough every week or more and want to know what the root of the problem could be?

I have formatted everytime i re-install XP?

Will try the sfc /scannow

Thanks

It just crashed , so want to try the sfc command.

Put in my XP cd and ran repair console, but there is no sfc command?

Any ideas, cos it would be great if I could replace the missing system files??

sfc /scannow can be used from the command prompt while running XP. The XP CD is needed incase it asks for any files. However, I agree with sboulema. If you can't find a fix for this, I suggest backing up anything you need to that 80 GB drive and then reformatting your 6 GB system drive.

i would run the powermax tool from the Maxtor website to test and repair the hard drive. its got me out a few bad shutdowns before. Powermax

go to start run and type sfc /scannow...if that does not work boot with the xp cd and run a repair install.

May be defective memory. Try removing all but one stick if you can and try each one separately. Although it does appear to be software.

Another thought - are you sure you are virus and trojan free? Some of the nasty ones can prevent boot up and they have a way of coming back if not cleaned completely.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back